Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Merkel & Meier Push Key Padlock

I acquired this old push key padlock a few days ago and thought that I would share with those that might be interested. It has a steel case and measures 2 ¼” wide, 3 ¼” tall from top of shackle to bottom of loop and approx 0.612” thick. It came with a key that was not original in fact I had to fiddle around with it to get it to work so I made a new key similar to one shown in a patent. The shackle is faintly marked “MERKEL & MEIER”. I found similar locks on the “Antique-padlocks” website one marked “MERKEL & MEIR” with a brass case plus some with different markings on the shackle.
    I have uploaded 2 photos of the lock and key that I made.
    Pattent numbers for this lock are US Patent #72378 US Patent #85805 US Patent #102810.

If anyone has any further information about this padlock or “MERKEL & MEIER” please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Merkel & Meier Padlock2.jpg   Merkel & Meier padlock1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    Pattent numbers for this lock are US Patent #72378 US Patent #85805 US Patent #102810.
    If anyone has any further information about this padlock or “MERKEL & MEIER” please let me know.
    Don't know if this helps any but I found two of those patents in Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3 Ed. by the late Thomas F. Hennessy in his listing of padlock patents on pgs. 118-119:

Patent No./Date/Type of Lock/Inventor/Residence
    072,378; 12/17/1867; Padlock; J. Effler; New York, NY
    085,805; 1/12/1869; Padlock; C.H. Eiffler; New York, NY

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information