Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Eagle 6 Lever Pancake Padlock

I have an old eagle 6 lever pushkey pancake padlock that did not have a key and though I was able to get it open there was no spring in the shackle and things were pretty gritty inside. I decided to try to take it apart and repair it. I had taken a few other 6 lever pancake padlocks apart but this was by far the most difficult to get the two halves separated.
    I was also surprised at what I saw inside (besides the caked in dirt) it did not look like any of the other pancake lock workings that I had come across in my own locks or any articles, photos or videos that I had seen. I then decided to take photos and post them here in case anyone else would like to see how this lock works.
    The lock had a lot of dirt inside, that appeared to be a mixture of hardened graphite and oil?. I carefully disassembled the lock and cleaned all the parts. I thought that the brass shackle spring had broken but in fact it was worn down and the ridge on the shackle that it rests on had been worn down and would no longer hold the spring in place. I made a new spring from some brass wire that I was able to scrounge from a local spring shop and filed the edge of the shackle ridge so that it was flat and held the spring in place.
    I reassembled the innards of the lock and my next step is to try and make a working key before trying to put the two halves back together.

The first two photos show the top and bottom part of the case.
    Photo 3 shows the inside of the lock and all the dirt and grime.
    Photo 4 shows the dirt that I removed from the lock
    Photo 5 shows the parts of the lock minus the shackle
    Photo 6 shows the old worn spring and the new brass spring that I made
    Photo 7 shows the underside of the shackle
    Photo 8 shows the underside of the shackle and where the spring would rest
    Photo 9 shows the shackle in position with the spring – the tail end of the spring is not in position
    Photo 10 shows the #6 lever in place
    Photo 11 shows all six of the levers in place
    Photo 12 shows a side view of the lock with the levers in place
    Photo 13 shows a side view of the lock with a key (not the correct one) in place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1) eagle 6 lever top case.jpg   2) eagle 6 lever bottom case inside.jpg   3) eagle 6 lever cover off.jpg   4) eagle 6 lever parts showing dirt.jpg   5) eagle 6 lever parts cleaned.jpg  

6) eagle 6 lever old and new springs.jpg   7) eagle 6 lever underside of shackle.JPG   8) eagle 6 lever shackle underside showing spring placement.JPG   9) eagle 6 lever showing spring position.JPG   10) eagle 6 lever with #6 lever in position.JPG  

11) eagle 6 lever with all six levers.JPG   12) eagle 6 lever with levers side view.JPG   13) eagle 6 lever with levers and a key.JPG  

[QUOTE=candado3;31693]I have an old eagle 6 lever pushkey pancake padlock that did not have a key and though I was able to get it open there was no spring in the shackle and things were pretty gritty inside. I decided to try to take it apart and repair it. I had taken a few other 6 lever pancake padlocks apart but this was by far the most difficult to get the two halves separated......I reassembled the innards of the lock and my next step is to try and make a working key before trying to put the two halves back together.

The Extreme Antique Padlock Collector, 4th Edition by Lauren Arndt, who I believe is a member here; has detailed instructions for fabricating keys for such pushkey lever padlocks in Chapter 1. Many other styles of vintage padlocks are covered in the volume as well, information on purchasing that book can be found here if interested:https://www.blurb.com/b/6565733-the-...lock-collector

Pete Schifferli

[QUOTE=Pschiffe;31694]
    Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    I have an old eagle 6 lever pushkey pancake padlock that did not have a key and though I was able to get it open there was no spring in the shackle and things were pretty gritty inside. I decided to try to take it apart and repair it. I had taken a few other 6 lever pancake padlocks apart but this was by far the most difficult to get the two halves separated......I reassembled the innards of the lock and my next step is to try and make a working key before trying to put the two halves back together.

The Extreme Antique Padlock Collector, 4th Edition by Lauren Arndt, who I believe is a member here; has detailed instructions for fabricating keys for such pushkey lever padlocks in Chapter 1. Many other styles of vintage padlocks are covered in the volume as well, information on purchasing that book can be found here if interested:https://www.blurb.com/b/6565733-the-...lock-collector

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks Pete.
    I have a copy of that book but the mechanism of the eagle padlock is quite different from that described in the book.
    In his example there is a spring loaded actuator that fits into the notches in the sides of the levers and thus releasing the shackle. The notches can be measured because they are at right angles to the keyway.
    In the eagle lock the levers are open at the top and the levers are moved by the key to make an opening on the top for the bar on the shackle to slide through thus opening the lock.
    From antique-padlocks.com they state that it is an 8 lever keyway and lever position 7 & 8 are void. They also show a picture of 12 keys that fit these locks and my lock is coded 8U11 so that may help in making a key. There is also a ref to a patent for and eagle 6 lever padlock but it is for one with a hinged shackle, I haven't seen a patent for one with my type of shackle

if you need blanks for the 8 lever ? i just pm you his info,
    he has i believe all these 6/8 lever eagles and probablty the cut info for the keys
    very good friend of mine

Default Eagle 6 Lever Pancake Padlock Your Message

Candado3
    Nice job of taken it apart and put back together. I know what it mean that there are time went trying to pick any lock that it will not pick to open. I lubricant the lock and sometime leave it set for a few days. I'll blow all the lubricant out and lubricant it again. It may take time to get anything that inside the lock to loose it up and get everything out whatever inside the lock. It does work sometime only if some part are broken inside the lock.....Tim....

Thread Information