Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

found one of the brochures, also seem to remember seeing one more related to instructing bank staff how they work but have not found that one yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1090517.JPG   P1090518.JPG  

Amazing how many variations of that brass cased lock that Tann found a multitude of uses, lost count of the number we’ve seen on here now ! For what was essentially a ten lever bankers lock when in full spec, it was certainly very versatile.

Agreed Huw and the earlier versions that were like a satin cased version, do we know who made these locks, I have heard both Kromer and Tann ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Agreed Huw and the earlier versions that were like a satin cased version, do we know who made these locks, I have heard both Kromer and Tann ?
    This is all I have Gary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann lock makers.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	22206

Hope it's legible.

That certainly makes sense from what I saw out there, all the later bright brass enclosed case Tann’s did indeed have paint on one or two of the cap screws (usually red), but I only saw them as the 10 lever plunger lock on the higher grade safes.
    Going from memory though, the open cased earlier version of it, mostly seen on large Grade 1A post office counter safes and some standard issue Bankers, did sometimes have grey hammered paint on the case like a Kromer.

I think that that might refer to the tann slimline or l&f 20 series lock rather than the brass plunger/top hat type lock

the one that came in a 6 lever version on lighter range safes, 9 lever normally and in L&F 20 series form had a barrel and curtain fitted

Think I know the one, folded steel case with similar passivated finish to the L&F’s

Got me thinking all things Tann now Gary— remembered they used Powerlocks as well, albeit on later stuff like the European’s iirc, don’t know why they did though, but recall seeing them with open case like the old SLS multi-stump locks, but with single stump, 8/9 lever and brass barrel and curtain.

yes Huw powerlocks of various types before going to abn and rkl 10

Thread Information