Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tann anti herd lock

Does anyone have a brochure / sales leaflet for this please. I thought I had one but cannot find where I have hidden it. If anyone has one and wouldn't mind posting a copy of it, it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Does anyone have a brochure / sales leaflet for this please. I thought I had one but cannot find where I have hidden it. If anyone has one and wouldn't mind posting a copy of it, it would be much appreciated.
    Hello Gary,
    I'm surprised that I have never come across any publication for Tann's Anti-Herding Device.
    I am fairly conversant with the principal which blocked the possibility of Bank staff and customers being forced and held inside a strongroom in the event of Bank raids in the 70's.
    It is just possible that they were provided through Killby-Tann who did most of the Bank protection equipment counters, screens etc. and may have been in their catalogue.

I have definitely seen one, but cannot place it at present.

I had not heard that term before (herding) but I have run across the concept.

- A lock of some sort so that the boltwork cannot be operated. I think there was a patent I ran across for this. When the door is opened in the morning the manager would use a key to lock the boltwork. In the evening he would unlock the boltwork before closing the door. Meanwhile the door could be closed but that's all. I'm not sure how this worked if the door had a pressure system, which can very effectively keep people inside from opening the door unless it's part of the antiherding design.

- A door could be easily be built with interior controls to allow opening from the inside. This may be common with fire doors but not bank doors. As above, it gets more complex with a pressure system. Here are a couple of doors with controls on the inside:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antiherd 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	21790 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antiherd 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	21791

What did Tann do?

Any other approaches?

It has been a long time since I did bank service but I do remember keylocks up at the top of the jamb that prevented the door from shutting. Another lock was built into the pressure bar system. On the more modern doors Diebold used a SD lock mounted on the inside of the door that had to be used to release the boltwork to extend.

Presumably the internal handles couldn’t override the timelock or the keylock?

Default Tann's Anti-Herding Device.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I had not heard that term before (herding) but I have run across the concept.

- A lock of some sort so that the boltwork cannot be operated. I think there was a patent I ran across for this. When the door is opened in the morning the manager would use a key to lock the boltwork. In the evening he would unlock the boltwork before closing the door. Meanwhile the door could be closed but that's all.
    What did Tann do?

Any other approaches?

The requirement for measures in Branch Banks to prevent customers and staff from being forced into a Bookroom or Strongroom where their survival might be endangered if their was a malfunction in the opening of the door, was given very serious consideration by all the British Banks in the 1960's and 70's when the upsurge in over-the-counter raids reached a peak.

Initially a very basic idea was to instal a hammer and a torch just inside the vestibule which was intended to reduce panic by giving light and allowing a very crude method of communication.

Panic was considered to be the biggest danger regarding survival in such an enclosed space.
    Tann was able to provide a document, 'Survival in air-tight chambers' - a Sub-Mariner's formula by which each Branch could calculate an approximate figure. This also included instructions that the occupants should lie down and try to conserve their energy.

The Anti-Herding device as described merely blocked the door blade from seating in the rebate and prevented the boltwork from being engaged.

some pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lot 2 (4).JPG   lot 153 (1).jpg  

Default Anti-Herd Systems

Sorry Garry not a Tann system but Chubb Aust. in the late 60's introduced there series safes and strongroom doors which was designed so that the boltwork could be locked in the open position without fully locking the combination and could be held closed by the dial check lock.

Name:	Lock and locking arm.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	21794

Default Internal release

Chubb Aust. Bookroom door require the handle to push in rotated clockwise and slide side ways to open not an easy operation but worked

Name:	Internal release Bookroom.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	21795

Chubb strongroom door had two released buttons and a turn handle.

Name:	Chubb Door Internal Release Instructions.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	21796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Door Internal Release13.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	21797
    Last edited by Nicko50; 29-09-19 at 11:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information