Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A different idea that I suppose does the same function, I have seen variations of that idea on chubb, tann and leicher strongroom doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko50 View Post
    Sorry Garry not a Tann system but Chubb Aust. in the late 60's introduced there series safes and strongroom doors which was designed so that the boltwork could be locked in the open position without fully locking the combination and could be held closed by the dial check lock.
    Attachment 21794
    Interesting, I suppose throwing the bolts out and locking the locks with the door in the open position would also serve as anti-herd

Some of the psychology of herding could mean fooling the robbers into thinking they have succeeded in trapping everybody. If you merely make the door unclosable they might become angry and more prone to doing something really bad. From this perspective a design that allows the door to fully close and seemingly lock would be best. Meanwhile, the employees on the inside need to reassure customers, and they need to trigger a silent alarm and/or phone for help.

Interesting concept.
    It has been standard practice in NZ Banks, that all Strongroom/Vault Doors are to be locked open, with bolts thrown, to help prevent staff/customers being locked inside.
    Combined with most doors having an emergency release fitted, and breather tubes/phones etc.

The only exception to this is if the staff forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    ...Combined with most doors having an emergency release fitted...
    That bit surprised me. Other than the two door images I posted earlier, and the round door sold by Vault Structures Incorporated (Florida), I'm not aware of bank vault doors that have an emergency release. I have seen them on doors that are designed for fire protection (Mosler model 12 IIRC) but not bank vaults. Perhaps NZ has different regulations?

Hi Wylk
    In NZ we don't really have Fire Doors.
    They would definitely not exist in a Bank.
    These are proper Bankers Anti Arc Vault Doors.
    The emergency release mechanism is fully protected behind glass and a large amount of relockers.

this is the Tann version, quite rare to see in the UK.
    I have also seen Chubb and Leicher versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tann 450 door with inside override (4).JPG   tann 450 door with inside override (5).JPG   tann 450 door with inside override (10).JPG   tann 450 door with inside override (13).JPG  

Here is the Vault Structures door. I believe you operate one lever to disengage the combination locks and time lock, and the other handle to retract the boltwork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vault Structures Inc 2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	21806

I have the locks and also a mount that works with them for the Tann, if that's any use I can take photos, I can ask in work if we have a broucher but I'm sure I scanned all of the vault ones and don't remember seeing one

Cheers Jason, I have plenty of the locks and mounts, but had seen a brochure for one but cannot find it, I will have to keep digging.

Thread Information