Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tann's Anti-Herding Device.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I had not heard that term before (herding) but I have run across the concept.

- A lock of some sort so that the boltwork cannot be operated. I think there was a patent I ran across for this. When the door is opened in the morning the manager would use a key to lock the boltwork. In the evening he would unlock the boltwork before closing the door. Meanwhile the door could be closed but that's all.
    What did Tann do?

Any other approaches?

The requirement for measures in Branch Banks to prevent customers and staff from being forced into a Bookroom or Strongroom where their survival might be endangered if their was a malfunction in the opening of the door, was given very serious consideration by all the British Banks in the 1960's and 70's when the upsurge in over-the-counter raids reached a peak.

Initially a very basic idea was to instal a hammer and a torch just inside the vestibule which was intended to reduce panic by giving light and allowing a very crude method of communication.

Panic was considered to be the biggest danger regarding survival in such an enclosed space.
    Tann was able to provide a document, 'Survival in air-tight chambers' - a Sub-Mariner's formula by which each Branch could calculate an approximate figure. This also included instructions that the occupants should lie down and try to conserve their energy.

The Anti-Herding device as described merely blocked the door blade from seating in the rebate and prevented the boltwork from being engaged.

this is the Tann version, quite rare to see in the UK.
    I have also seen Chubb and Leicher versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tann 450 door with inside override (4).JPG   tann 450 door with inside override (5).JPG   tann 450 door with inside override (10).JPG   tann 450 door with inside override (13).JPG  

the one that came in a 6 lever version on lighter range safes, 9 lever normally and in L&F 20 series form had a barrel and curtain fitted

Think I know the one, folded steel case with similar passivated finish to the L&F’s

Got me thinking all things Tann now Gary— remembered they used Powerlocks as well, albeit on later stuff like the European’s iirc, don’t know why they did though, but recall seeing them with open case like the old SLS multi-stump locks, but with single stump, 8/9 lever and brass barrel and curtain.

Thread Information