Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Climate control for safe in garage

The safe is in a garage in the mid Atlantic. Garage is not heated nor cooled.

Any devices come to mind in which stability, at least in a relative sense, can be maintained?

Powered by electricity not a good option as no holes are drilled in the safe for an electrical cord, nor do I wish to permanently ruin this fine antique safe.

While I'm at it, any way to date my safe? Obviously no earlier than 1906 as it was patented 03 April 1906, Hall's.

Any thoughts? Summer is ending, winter is just around the corner.

With no power to the interior, the best option seems to be a large container of silica desiccant. Check the humidity in the safe from time to time with a decent hygrometer. You may need to "cook" the moisture out of the desiccant occasionally.

You could also heat the exterior of the safe. Insulating it would probably be required, at least on five sides. Put a thermometer inside and check occasionally.

Pictures would be nice.

Default photographs

Here's a photograph.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190820_151232.jpg  

Default Dew point.

[QUOTE=orpington;31553]The safe is in a garage in the mid Atlantic. Garage is not heated nor cooled.

Any devices come to mind in which stability, at least in a relative sense, can be maintained?

I am unsure from the first line if this is a serious question. If it is and if you are referring to the relative humidity inside the safe then the answer is not to close the safe before allowing time for the internal temperature of the lining to come into equilibrium with the ambient temperature of the garage. Otherwise, as I have found by experience, your lady's tiara will suffer from mildew damage to the velvet band.

Completely serious question.

The safe would be locked at all times except briefly to enter.

Therefore, the interior and its contents would approximate exterior conditions, less a delay in reaching extremes due to the fact the interior is insulated by a plaster of Paris shell, or other similar material.

Quote Originally Posted by orpington View Post
    Completely serious question.

The safe would be locked at all times except briefly to enter.

Therefore, the interior and its contents would approximate exterior conditions, less a delay in reaching extremes due to the fact the interior is insulated by a plaster of Paris shell, or other similar material.
    My only experience in this field is having been held responsible for mildew damage to jewellery in a safe supplied by my company. Expert evidence subsequently placed the presence of moisture in the fact that although the safe had been opened for only a brief time, it was sufficient to allow humid air to be retained in the cool but less humid interior causing water vapour to form after the door was closed and that subsequently the safe had remained closed for a long period.

The safe body had a concrete fill not too dissimilar to yours. Not very helpful I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    My only experience in this field is having been held responsible for mildew damage to jewellery in a safe supplied by my company. Expert evidence subsequently placed the presence of moisture in the fact that although the safe had been opened for only a brief time, it was sufficient to allow humid air to be retained in the cool but less humid interior causing water vapour to form after the door was closed and that subsequently the safe had remained closed for a long period.

The safe body had a concrete fill not too dissimilar to yours. Not very helpful I'm afraid.
    This sounds like a summertime problem. Being a garage in winter, it will get cold but not experience the wild swings of very cold nights and usually above freezing days.

I would think storage of precious metals/jewellery and documents would be okay, but not anything that might rust.

Or, conversely, any suggestions on how to singlehandedly move this up 3 steps into the house? I have no available help. But now it is not on a slab but above a basement. The floors in this house, being rather new and slipshod construction, might be considered questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by orpington View Post

Or, conversely, any suggestions on how to singlehandedly move this up 3 steps into the house? I have no available help. But now it is not on a slab but above a basement. The floors in this house, being rather new and slipshod construction, might be considered questionable.
    I would strongly recommend that you don't attempt try to move this safe up 3 steps without assistance. Your floor, the strength of which you feel doubtful, should be adequate for a static object such as a safe. If you're not happy with the floor boards themselves you could use a spreader plate.
    Get help.

Thread Information