Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Ruxton's Patent Lock Safe

I've recently had an old safe passed down to me. It used to be an old pub safe, and as much as I have looked for information about it I can't learn much. It is a Ruxton's patent lock safe, with a working key. I was really just looking for more information about it. I might like to sell it in time, but for now I'm just keen to know a bit more about this type of safe really and how old it is. Love a bit of history behind my stuff! I've tried Googling for it with very little luck, but this seems the right place to ask. Happy to answer any questions, if I can! Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190813_170115565.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	21698

Quote Originally Posted by simpleseagull View Post
    I've recently had an old safe passed down to me. It used to be an old pub safe, and as much as I have looked for information about it I can't learn much. It is a Ruxton's patent lock safe, with a working key. I was really just looking for more information about it. I might like to sell it in time, but for now I'm just keen to know a bit more about this type of safe really and how old it is. Love a bit of history behind my stuff! I've tried Googling for it with very little luck, but this seems the right place to ask. Happy to answer any questions, if I can! Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190813_170115565.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	21698
    The Ruxton lock has been covered previously under the title "Antique Safe with Ruxton's Invincible Lock" dated 22/03/2016.

It is unlikely that the safe was made by Ruxton but rather by any one of the many makers of simple iron safes of the time and fitted with Ruxton's lock. Could have been made anytime between 1850 and 1900 but probably in the early period to coincide with Ruxton's Lock.

I'll have another look and see if I can find that thread, missed it first time searching. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by simpleseagull View Post
    I'll have another look and see if I can find that thread, missed it first time searching. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
    it’s the most applicable thread of only three on the Ruxton’s;
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...hlight=Ruxtons

There’s also brief mention of the lock in the November 1857 copy of The Engineer, and also on p53 in the classic A.C Hobbs book on Construction of locks and safes circa 1850.

Thread Information