Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Ely-norris cannonball problems HELP

I just got an Ely-norris cannonball safe the other day. I have it down at my work place and i was getting things cleaned up to restore it. I have the codes for the main door, bottom door in the base and the inner door. It has the Y361 pie time lock as well. I started getting things taken off the safe so i could start stripping the old paint. This is where the problem is. I pulled the jeweled face plate and dial, pulled the time Y361 time lock, i also pulled the inner jeweled ring that is around the time lock. I however did not pull the inner plate that hold the locking bolts for the timer (bad mistake). At some point the door was shut and the crank was turned tripping the lever to kick the time lock bolts out.

what do i do now? is is possible to drill a hole to get into it and spin the gear that controls the arms for the bolts? im hoping the safe its just a boat anchor now. hopefully someone has a solution to get the bolts to open up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00k0k_2gtzx2UsfOM_1200x900.jpg   safe.jpg   IMG_7955.jpg   IMG_7975.jpg  

Dear Sir, I am not trying to be a smart ass here and your question makes me sick to my stomach for the unfortunate closing of your safe.

I am no expert, and am not a locksmith of any sort, but when I took my Y361 out of my Ely Norris, I was terrified the spring loaded bolts would be tripped so I cut two pieces of all-thread and put small steel plates off of u-bolt clamps on each end of the all thread and secured the rods with locking nuts.

I don't think you can save the safe without cutting a hole in it big enough to get some rods from the back in to manipulate the bolt mechanism.

Good luck.

Now I am going to ask you that if the safe is lost, would you consider selling me the nickel plated small finial on the door, or would you consider making a mold of it or some pictures with dimensions? Someone stole mine.

Jody Sims

Unless I am confusing this with another cannonball, this lockout was solved by the owner.

I did get the safe open, it took a little creative thinking but it wasn't as bad as i was thinking. The safe has taken a back seat for a little bit since we had our first kid. Anyway here is what i did to get it open.

I talked with a very helpful guy about a few different options and places to drill. We though about drilling where the pins are on each side then pushing the pins together but with the way the gears/levers work in the door, they cam over center so that option was out. I decided the best option was to go through the center of the back. With that hole I could at least get in with the bore scope and look at my options.

First thing i did was made a stand to get it to the right height and flipped the head on the mill to drill the hole in the back of the safe in the center since I knew the internal lock was centered. I figured that was my best option if i was going to get tools or scope in there. The manganese steel in these safes is super hard and non magnetic (mag drill was out). Even using the mill, i killed a few bits and had to sharpen them a lot. The back of the safe is 3" thick.

I drilled through with the biggest carbide bit i could get locally. This allowed me to get the scope in and look around. I drilled right above the internal shelf since the inside door was open and hanging down. After looking/studying some pics that I had taken when it was open i figured i could make a small tool that i could reach inside and spin the gear to open the bolts. The first tool was tool large of a tool to get through the hole so it was on to plan B.

I got a carbide tipped masonry drill and resharpened it for cutting hard steel, with that bit i enlarged the hole to 5/8". This hole allowed me to get both the scope and the tools in. I made a long screwdriver with a flat bit and pulled the center screw since it was in the way of the tool for being able to engage the gear. With the screw gone i was able to get the tool in place and spin the gear easily and open the door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe drill.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	21994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8014.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	21995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8013.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	21996

Quote Originally Posted by Texaschilli View Post
    Good luck.

Now I am going to ask you that if the safe is lost, would you consider selling me the nickel plated small finial on the door, or would you consider making a mold of it or some pictures with dimensions? Someone stole mine.

Jody Sims
    I can get you dimensions of what ever you need, just let me know what part you are talking about. I would be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Unless I am confusing this with another cannonball, this lockout was solved by the owner.
    you are not confused, It is open again and hopefully this winter it will get restored.

Thread Information