Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, son of a gun!

I think I fixated on that outer notch, I never noticed the inner one y'all pointed out. And that would line up with the location of the fence, too.

It is dark where this safe is located, but I still shouldn't have missed that.

More later, after I fashion a tool.

Default Attempt to decipher combination

Okay, to begin, turn right several times, greater than 4, to the first number of the combination, which, as verified, my "tool", which it turns out was the thin blade of a small pocket knife, identical, or nearly so, to the first number of the combination I was provided. Then left twice past the first number to the second number provided in the combination, which was identical to that which was provided. Then right, past this second number once, to where the pocket knife blade depresses, which was not the third number provided, but differs by 11, then left only to the last number, which seems to be one greater or one less than the number provided. This is the fourth disc as remaining in the door. Doing this, I actually got the fence to work at least once, entering all four gates. Not easily able to quite verify this number, as the knife blade is not quite long enough, but it seems repetition, and repetition, the first three numbers are verified as correct, with knife blade, but the fourth number is not always repeatable on future tries. It seems this should be able to be confirmed by rotating the handle as each number on dial is reached, but perhaps this messes things up as maybe it is designed not to confirm the fourth number in this fashion when it simply enters the fourth gate.

Of course, there could be human error here, but, like I said, the first three numbers are repeatable on multiple attempts and the fourth number worked when one higher and one lower than the number provided on two of at least 10 attempts.

Of course, I want this to work, as being locked out would be a bummer!

Incidentally, I was told to go right 4, left 3, right 2, left 1 then to number, and it seems it is really right 3 (or more), left 2, right 1, then to last number leftward.

Any ideas?

Your style of counting is different, that is why you have different numbers of turns.

"left 1" means "left to the first time the number is at the index" which is the same as "then to last number leftward". Also "left 3" means "left to the third time the number is at the index" which is the same as "Then left twice past the first number to the second number provided in the combination".

One idea would be to get a good fitting key. Remove the wheelpack and take it to a full service locksmith shop. You could call first to verify they carry a wide selection of safe deposit type of keys. The thickness of the key is not so critical, however the width is, and should be a snug but slip fit into the slot. The length required should be at minimum 1/2" longer than the wheelpack. Ideally more like 2" long. Have the end cut flat across, with a little taper cut on each end corner to facilitate the key fitting the wheels. Hold the bow of the key away from the center knob as you push through to the last wheel.

I wasn't thinking clearly...

If the knife only goes 3 wheels deep, the fourth number can be determined by removing the wheel pack and rotating until it aligns with the fence and observing it with the wheel pack removed.

So, I swear I got the 4 number combination to work at least once.

But, I cannot consistently get it to work. In fact it rarely works. I think I am dialing it exactly the same way every time, and confirmed using the knife the first 3 numbers of the combination.

Any thoughts???

Default Egads! It works!!!

I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but, for some reason, what I perceived to be the third number in the combination was 4 higher than it actually was.

I now tried the "new" combination and it has now successfully worked 3 times in a row. Now getting too dark in the garage. Will try it another 10 or 15 times tomorrow, and if it works all times successfully, I will then actually lock the safe.

Thanks to you all. Really, I appreciate it. Saved me having to lug a heavy safe door many miles to pay someone $75 what I was able to do on my own...with your assistance!

Any idea how to further pinpoint when this safe was manufactured? Obviously after 03 April 1906. From what I can see, Hall Safe Company of Cincinnati, Ohio went bankrupt in 1927.

Sorry, links are not allowed here. I forgot. I will send you a PM.

Default Fair value on this one?

The dimensions are 23" deep, 45" high, and 30" wide.

What's a fair valuation on this one? Once I get one or more answers, I will reveal what I have into it, cost at a recent auction, plus shipping to my residence.

Shipping can be a killer! I had the lowest estimate shipper deliver to my residence, and it was considerably lower than other estimates, and still not exactly cheap.

Your safe is nothing fancy, a relatively cheap fire safe, but it is in a great condition with original painting. For me that is the most desirable condition. I don't know safe prices, but I am sure you did not pay to much, and shipping a safe costs what shipping a safe costs.

Thread Information