Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hall's Patented 1906 safe and its combination

I will begin by stating this safe is unlocked, which makes things easier.

I will state that I have set and reset the combination on 3 wheel antique safes in which the wheels remain in the door.

This one throws me for a loop. Recently purchased at an auction with a R4, L3, R2, L1 4 digit combination.

The provided combination doesn't work, nor does the reverse, beginning with L4 for spinning.

Not a problem, I thought. I'll just reset it. Except it has a 3 wheel insert that comes out, so I am unable to visualize where the slots line up and determine the, or a, combination.

Any ideas?

Default Hall's Patented 1906 safe and its combination

You may have Hall safe but didn't tell us what kind of combination lock is it. Best if you can post a picture of combination lock will give us idea of what you talking about....Tim

When you put the wheel pack back in, can you see the wheels where the fence is moving into the wheel pack? If so, dial in one direction until the wheel moves which is furthest away from the front of the door. Then stop when the gate of this wheel is at the fence. Note the number on the dial. This is your first number. Switch direction and turn the dial until the second wheel moves and stop again when the gate is at the fence. Note number, switch direction, third wheel, stop, number, switch direction, stop, number.

If there is no possibility to have a look, you can dial the number which you were given, then remove the wheel pack. Is it a complete mess? Are three wheels aligned, but one not? Do this for both directions.

I will have photographs in a few days I will post, but once the removable 3 wheel pack is in place, I cannot see where the fence and gate is. I assume the gate are the notches in the wheels and the fence is that which can enter the gate, allowing the safe to unlock?

Your assumptions are correct.

Here are some photographs: 4 discs, my apologies, some are dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190820_151240.jpg   20190820_151232.jpg   20190820_151302.jpg   20190820_151612.jpg   20190820_151906.jpg  

20190820_151920.jpg   20190820_151929.jpg  

I guess the slot you can see in the cover is there to poke something inside to determine the combination.

In this case:
    Ideally this something is as wide as the slot long is. Push this something slightly in and turn the dial until it slides in further due to the gate being there. The dial won't turn then further. Note the number. Reverse direction and turn until the something slides again in. Note number. Reverse gain, turn to stop, note number. The fourth number you can directly see when the wheel pack is removed. Turn until the gate there is at the fence and note the fourth number.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    I guess the slot you can see in the cover is there to poke something inside to determine the combination.

In this case:
    Ideally this something is as wide as the slot long is. Push this something slightly in and turn the dial until it slides in further due to the gate being there. The dial won't turn then further. Note the number. Reverse direction and turn until the something slides again in. Note number. Reverse gain, turn to stop, note number. The fourth number you can directly see when the wheel pack is removed. Turn until the gate there is at the fence and note the fourth number.
    That's what I thought too, except the location of this slot is significantly further out than the diameter of the wheels. So I don't think this will work.

I mean the slot near the knob.

Edit: Possibly it can be also used to find the number for the fourth wheel connected with the dial (aka drive cam). And because this slot is so near to the knob of the wheel pack you probably can verify the positions by fully opening the bolt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    I mean the slot near the knob.

Edit: Possibly it can be also used to find the number for the fourth wheel connected with the dial (aka drive cam). And because this slot is so near to the knob of the wheel pack you probably can verify the positions by fully opening the bolt work.

Cepasaccus is correct. Fashion a tool that just fits into that inner slot and as you dial and it slips into each gate, note the number on the dial. This is a hand change lock so that slot is there is know the numbers when the combination is changed. I like to make mine out of aluminum as it files easier and is durable.

Thread Information