Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default info on a couple of locks

I have a couple of locks that I have not been able to find out much about.
    One is a Union 6 lever DS4. I am assuming its from the 1950's ear . The second has no makers name and all all I have about it was it used by Shipwright who had served his time before the mast.
    Any back ground info would be gratefully received. Specifically age, origin, scarcity or rareness if there is such a word.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190819_144600.jpg   20190819_144416.jpg   20190819_144633.jpg   20190819_144701.jpg  

Default info on a couple of locks

Go here and should give you information: < https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Josiah_Parkes_and_Sons >.
    The other lock not so sure maybe someone else can give information about it.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Go here and should give you information: < https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Josiah_Parkes_and_Sons >.
    The other lock not so sure maybe someone else can give information about it.....Timothy.....
    Thanks for that the second one is still a bit of a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by nmackay View Post
    Thanks for that the second one is still a bit of a mystery.
    Additional images of the split key. The key its self has no makings just like the lock so I am presuming its hand made. One feature it does have, is when the lock is open you cannot remove the key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190831_141239.jpg  

Wholesalers generally did not allow makers to mark products with the maker's name, lest customers go direct to the maker. Often, not even the wholesaler's mark appeared.
    OP's lock is likely interwar period, possibly pre WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by nmackay View Post
    Additional images of the split key. The key its self has no makings just like the lock so I am presuming its hand made. One feature it does have, is when the lock is open you cannot remove the key.
    The key is a stamping, but there were still hand-powered fly presses in use in small lock factories in Willenhall. Components of locks were hand assembled and rivetted. This lockcase appears galvanised, probably by hot-dipping.

Thread Information