Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yale & Towne Cast Bronze Pin-tumbler Padlocks - 800 Series Models - Manufacture Date?

I am wondering if anyone knows when Yale started producing their cast bronze, pin-tumbler padlocks of the 800 Series (such as the 830, 840, 850, etc. models)?

I can find them in the 1908 Yale catalog but not in the 1893 catalog (I do not have any catalogs for years in between these). I have looked for patents and searched this forum unsuccessfully for an answer.

Based on their build characteristics, I am guessing that they started being manufactured sometime after January 1901 when the patent application for the locking of the heel and toe of the shackle was filed (Patent #US685289) and before the spring of 1908 when the catalog was published. The Yale Paracentric key with the round bow and Y&T trefoil design (Patent #USD29786) seems to be the earliest key design associated with this series of padlocks.

If someone on this forum could help me find the answer to this question I would appreciate it.

Thank You,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Tom L View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows when Yale started producing their cast bronze, pin-tumbler padlocks of the 800 Series (such as the 830, 840, 850, etc. models)?

I can find them in the 1908 Yale catalog but not in the 1893 catalog (I do not have any catalogs for years in between these). I have looked for patents and searched this forum unsuccessfully for an answer.

Based on their build characteristics, I am guessing that they started being manufactured sometime after January 1901 when the patent application for the locking of the heel and toe of the shackle was filed (Patent #US685289) and before the spring of 1908 when the catalog was published. The Yale Paracentric key with the round bow and Y&T trefoil design (Patent #USD29786) seems to be the earliest key design associated with this series of padlocks.

If someone on this forum could help me find the answer to this question I would appreciate it.

Thank You,

Tom
    The paracentric key is said to have been introduced in 1892 if that helps any. One source mentions 1904 as the date by which all Yale cylinder locks had the new paracentric keys.

Pete Schifferli

Default Earliest 850 style locks...

Thank You,

Tom
    The oldest example of this lock type that I have has the following imprinted into the top where it normally says “super pin tumbler”: “PATENTED AUG 11, 1891, SEPT 8, 1896, OTHERS PENDING”.

Default Yale 800 Series Padlocks with Patent Dates Stamped the Top

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    The oldest example of this lock type that I have has the following imprinted into the top where it normally says “super pin tumbler”: “PATENTED AUG 11, 1891, SEPT 8, 1896, OTHERS PENDING”.
    That is one of the reasons that I started this thread; I am interested in finding out the year that Y&T began this series and if those locks with the "Patented..." information represent the oldest variation of this series.

If someone knew the year that manufacture began for this series then I thought I could concentrate a search for a Yale catalog and print ads as close to that year as possible to help answer that question.

The "Super Pin..." stamping shows up sometime around 1930. The 1908 Yale catalog suggests the top of the lock in this series was blank with a numbered keyway or the word "YALE" on the keyway (numbered keyways seem to show up randomly in the later build styles of this series). In 1917, a blank top and an unmarked keyway; the 1921 catalog suggests the tops of the padlocks contained stamped text. Sometime from 1925-1929, Yale started adding stamped text to the shackle (but then well into the '30s & '40s some years have plain shackles).

So for a number of the early years (10-15?), this series had a blank top. If the "Patent..." stamping represents the earliest variation, it would seem that they were produced prior to 1908 (the other choice would be around 1921 it seems). The Yale paracentric key with the "Y&T" trefoil on the reverse side of the bow was phased out by Yale by 1915 or earlier.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of a Yale 800 series padlock that has an original key with it that they could share?

Thanks to all for the additional information.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale Padlock with Patent Dates_Model 850_Vintage-Wabash-Railroad-6aecc.jpg  

Default Yale 800 Series Padlocks with Patent Dates Stamped the Top

"Does anyone happen to have a photo of a Yale 800 series padlock that has an original key with it that they could share?"

That should have read: "Does anyone happen to have a photo of a Yale 800 series padlock with the "Patented..." stamp on top that has an original key with it that they could share?"

Tom

"Does anyone happen to have a photo of a Yale 800 series padlock that has an original key with it that they could share?"

That should have read: "Does anyone happen to have a photo of a Yale 800 series padlock with the "Patented..." stamp on top that has an original key with it that they could share?"
    Tom
    The thumbnail attached titled "Additional Notes On The Yale 800 Series" was taken from page 125 of The National Locksmith Guide to Antique Padlocks (c) 1990 by Jack Roberts and may be of interest. It notes initial production dates of Nos. 830, 840, 850, 870, 872 and 937.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AdditionalNotesOnTheYale800Series.jpg  

Default Yale & Towne Cast Bronze Pin-tumbler Padlocks - 800 Series Models - Manufacture Date

Look like Pete just get the answer. I remember reading that and I think i have the book somewhere at home. I do know there was someone came up with of what you talking about just don't remember where....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The thumbnail attached titled "Additional Notes On The Yale 800 Series" was taken from page 125 of The National Locksmith Guide to Antique Padlocks (c) 1990 by Jack Roberts and may be of interest. It notes initial production dates of Nos. 830, 840, 850, 870, 872 and 937.

Pete Schifferli

Thank you Pete for the information and citation, I appreciate it. That gives me a place to start to investigate from and also nails down the year when the "Super Pin..." stamping began.

If someone has a photo of an 800 Series padlock with the "Patented..." stamping & an original key, I would still be interested seeing it posted.

It seems by 1908, Yale had changed the sizing of the 800 Series with 830 - 1.5", 840 - 1.75", 850 - 2", & 870 - 2.5".

Tom

Thank you Pete for the information and citation, I appreciate it. That gives me a place to start to investigate from and also nails down the year when the "Super Pin..." stamping began.

If someone has a photo of an 800 Series padlock with the "Patented..." stamping & an original key, I would still be interested seeing it posted.

It seems by 1908, Yale had changed the sizing of the 800 Series with 830 - 1.5", 840 - 1.75", 850 - 2", & 870 - 2.5".

Tom
    Unfortunately I don’t have the original key for the example I have—my best guess would be that it came with the round headed “Yale Paracentric” key with the Y&T logo & patent dates on the blade of the key. This design was replaced in the early 1900’s (one source I remember put it around 1904 or so) with one that had the YALE logo surrounded by a border & “SECURITY” stamped on the key blade. By the mid 20’s, keys were plainer—there was no longer a border around YALE & nothing on the key blade.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Unfortunately I don’t have the original key for the example I have—my best guess would be that it came with the round headed “Yale Paracentric” key with the Y&T logo & patent dates on the blade of the key. This design was replaced in the early 1900’s (one source I remember put it around 1904 or so) with one that had the YALE logo surrounded by a border & “SECURITY” stamped on the key blade. By the mid 20’s, keys were plainer—there was no longer a border around YALE & nothing on the key blade.
    See image here from Supplee Hardware Co. catalog ca. 1902 which illustrates some paracentric Yale key blanks from the era:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/attachm...chmentid=12252

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information