Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    See image here from Supplee Hardware Co. catalog ca. 1902 which illustrates some paracentric Yale key blanks from the era:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/attachm...chmentid=12252

Pete Schifferli

Thank you Pete, I appreciate the ad image. In my investigations on this site and others, along with searching out Yale ads; here is what I have been able to assemble on Yale keys for the 800 series.

The Yale Paracentric style key was patented on December 13, 1898 (US29786), I do not know when it went into production. Obviously, at least by 1902 as the image you posted indicates. Initially, the blade of the key contained patent dates and, on the reverse side of the bow, it had "Y & T Trade Mark" inside a trefoil outline.

By 1908 at least, the key bow maintained the same design but now "Security" was stamped on the blade (see attached images, key on the right).

The "Y&T" ceased to be the Yale trademark in 1909 and was gradually phased out; the 800 series padlock itself, retained it until about 1925. However, by 1915, the "Y&T" trefoil and "Yale Paracentric" had been phased out from the key bow (maybe someone can nail this date down better than me?). It was replaced by "YALE" with a plaque outline (see the attached images, key on the left) with "Security" stamped on the blade. This key design was in use from approximately 1915 – 1926 (again, maybe someone here might be able to provide more definitive dates?).

Around 1927, plaque outline was dropped and the Yale key design displayed “YALE” in uppercase, block letters without any outline. This key design was maintained through approximately 1971, after which “Yale” was displayed in uppercase and lowercase letters without a border.

So a Yale 800 Series lock with an original key would help establish the build date and it may even be associated with two original key designs. Did the Yale locks in this series start production with the "Patented..." stamp, or was it added later for a period of time? I know that Yale was producing this series with the "Patented..." stamp sometime after 1905; but did they begin production with the stamp?

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale Paracentric Key Comparison_2.jpg   Yale Paracentric Key Comparison_1.jpg  

Default Yale & Towne Cast Bronze Pin-tumbler Padlocks - 800 Series Models - Manufacture Date

Here is Design patent number key from Yale 1898. There could be more but this it the only one i found so from.....Timothy.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Here is Design patent number key from Yale 1898. There could be more but this it the only one i found so from.....Timothy.....
    From 150 Years of Builders' Hardware (c) 1993 by Maud L. Eastwood, pg. 44:
    ...by 1904 all Yale cylinder locks had the new paracentric keys with a new bow design and were made of nickel bronze with gold plate.
    See thumbnail of vintage Yale No. 8 blank taken from my earlier post from Supplee Hardware Co. catalog ca. 1902.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleNo8EarlyKeyBlank.jpg  

Had these knocking around as long as I can remember but sadly no matching padlocks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	964.3 KB 
ID:	21548 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	958.9 KB 
ID:	21549

Came across the following statement

"The original Flat key of Mr. Yale was superseded about 1882 by the improved Corrugated key, shown by Fig. 2, and this in turn, about 1892, by the still better "Paracentric" key now used with all genuine Yale Locks and shown by Fig. 3 on next page"

From the following
    website - http://www.erbutler.com/pdf/research/reference/towne-1904-locks_and_builders_hardware.pdf

Hope it is of some help to someone

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    Came across the following statement

"The original Flat key of Mr. Yale was superseded about 1882 by the improved Corrugated key, shown by Fig. 2, and this in turn, about 1892, by the still better "Paracentric" key now used with all genuine Yale Locks and shown by Fig. 3 on next page"
    From the following
    website - http://www.erbutler.com/pdf/research/reference/towne-1904-locks_and_builders_hardware.pdf
    Hope it is of some help to someone
    The original flat Yale cylinder lock key was in use from 1868-1877 (Fig. 7), the corrugated version (Fig. 8) from 1878-1892 and the paracentric (Fig. 9) from 1892 forward.*
    *adapted from Been There, Done That!, memoir of Billy B. Edwards Jr. (c) 2014, pg. 72
    See thumbnail images below taken from Yale Catalog No. 26 (c) 1929, pg. XXXI

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleVintageFlatSteelKeyFig7.jpg   YaleVintageCorrugatedKeyFig8.jpg   YaleVintageParacentricKeyFig9.jpg  

Thread Information