Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obsolete Norwalk key (Ilco 1018, Keil 128), how old is it?

Have a very old Norwalk mortise lock with pin tumbler cylinders that takes an unusual shaped key--it has two 90 degree bends in the middle--like an H with the opposite top and bottom legs removed. From what I can determine, this is equivalent to the Keil 128, Ilco 1018 blank, which are long obsolete. Does anyone have an approximate date when Norwalk was using this keyway?

Thanks,
    YALE7750

My guess from your description is Norwalk patent 428,174 from 1890.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    BBE.
    See thumbnail of Old Ilco 1018 key blank. The Norwalk Lock Co. of South Norwalk, CT is said to have been in business from 1856-1955.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldIlco1018.jpg  

Default thanks

BBE.
    I figured around turn of the century or so—I forgot to add that the cylinders are non-standard diameter— bigger than the standard cylinder but smaller than a master ring cylinder.

Default Obsolete Norwalk key (Ilco 1018, Keil 128), how old is it?

If be more help if you can post a picture of it. Just remember there are lot of lock that can be change to differ cylinder than using the Norwalk cylinder.....Timothy......

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    If be more help if you can post a picture of it. Just remember there are lot of lock that can be change to differ cylinder than using the Norwalk cylinder.....Timothy......
    BBE posted the various diameters of mortise lock cylinders on another forum a while back:
    1. Peanut .750"
    2. Reading Knob Works (stop sign logo) 1.131"
    3. The standard 1.145"
    4. Norwalk 1.250"
    5. Chicago Hardware (NOT Chicago Lock) 1.365"
    6. Corbin Russwin Jumbo 1.510"
    7. Mogul 2.0"

I am unaware of any extant replacement for the old 1.25" diameter Norwalk mortise cylinder. As far as I know, only the standard 1.145", Corbin Russwin 1.510" and Mogul 2.0" are currently in production.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    BBE posted the various diameters of mortise lock cylinders on another forum a while back:
    1. Peanut .750"
    2. Reading Knob Works (stop sign logo) 1.131"
    3. The standard 1.145"
    4. Norwalk 1.250"
    5. Chicago Hardware (NOT Chicago Lock) 1.365"
    6. Corbin Russwin Jumbo 1.510"
    7. Mogul 2.0"

I am unaware of any extant replacement for the old 1.25" diameter Norwalk mortise cylinder. As far as I know, only the standard 1.145", Corbin Russwin 1.510" and Mogul 2.0" are currently in production.

Pete Schifferli
    Medeco did make a Norwalk replacement at one time. I don't know if it is still in production.
    BBE.

Default Obsolete Norwalk key (Ilco 1018, Keil 128), how old is it? Your Message

BBE
    That something new about using Medeco cylinder. Only thing was think about trying to find out of what he mean the cylinders are non-standard diameter— bigger than the standard cylinder but smaller than a master ring cylinder. I was think as he talking about Corbin cylinder but Pete gave information about it.....Timothy....

Medeco did make a Norwalk replacement at one time. I don't know if it is still in production.
    BBE.
    Current Medeco catalog shows only standard, jumbo and mogul mortise cylinders if that means anything.

Pete

Default Pictures of lock and cylinders

Here is the mortise lock, cylinders, and closeup of the maker's imprint on the deadbolt. This is a double cylinder lock with no stop buttons on the edge, and a latch bolt that is not reversible. I've never seen one like this before now. The keyway looks like it would be double-sided, but I cannot be sure since I've never seen a cut key for this lock. Compared to the typical Norwalk locks I know about, this is truly an oddball.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norwalk01.JPG   Norwalk02.JPG   Norwalk03.JPG  

Thread Information