Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Here is the mortise lock, cylinders, and closeup of the maker's imprint on the deadbolt. This is a double cylinder lock with no stop buttons on the edge, and a latch bolt that is not reversible. I've never seen one like this before now. The keyway looks like it would be double-sided, but I cannot be sure since I've never seen a cut key for this lock. Compared to the typical Norwalk locks I know about, this is truly an oddball.
    I've seen similar vintage locksets (not Norwalk) installed upside down since the anti-friction latch was not reversible!

Pete Schifferli

Here is the mortise lock, cylinders, and closeup of the maker's imprint on the deadbolt. This is a double cylinder lock with no stop buttons on the edge, and a latch bolt that is not reversible. I've never seen one like this before now. The keyway looks like it would be double-sided, but I cannot be sure since I've never seen a cut key for this lock. Compared to the typical Norwalk locks I know about, this is truly an oddball.
    The Norwalk patent 420,174 of January 1890 was designed to offer master keying. When a particular application was to be operated by the change key or master key only, both offsets were not broached into the plug. IIRC, the offset left in your cylinder was used when no MK operation was required. The cylinders themselves had an external diameter of 1.250" which was unique to Norwalk products. The keys were not double bitted as you can see in the patent image below.
    BBE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norwalk 420174.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The Norwalk patent 420,174 of January 1890 was designed to offer master keying. When a particular application was to be operated by the change key or master key only, both offsets were not broached into the plug. IIRC, the offset left in your cylinder was used when no MK operation was required. The cylinders themselves had an external diameter of 1.250" which was unique to Norwalk products. The keys were not double bitted as you can see in the patent image below.
    BBE.
    Thank you BBE for the detailed description—for some reason I had difficulty finding that patent through the usual searches—do you happen to know if the dual broached version was actually produced?

Thank you BBE for the detailed description—for some reason I had difficulty finding that patent through the usual searches—do you happen to know if the dual broached version was actually produced?
    Regrettably I don't have either type in my collection but I have seen cylinders with both sides broached and some with just one side. IIRC, you can see the both sides broached version at the museum in Terryville, CT.
    BBE.

Thread Information