Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
I’ve noticed that sometimes when paint has been stripped from a plaque it leaves the plaque stained/dyed from the particular colour. This seems to be virtually impossible to remove in any other way than the following. I’ve found the best way to remove this is with a cleaning paste such as ‘Astonish pro cleaning paste’ or another called ‘pink stuff’. It’s a paste with tiny particles in that aggressively removes the stain but not quite aggressively as on a polishing wheel. It leaves the plaque with a Matte finish which then can be given a quick polish to the high points or left alone. I only use this method as a last resort and like I say IMHO it doesn’t seem to be quite as aggressive as some of the friction removal methods. Here’s a couple of pics of the last couple of plaques I’ve used it on. I think it’s a great finish and it can be done gradually and doesn’t have to take 100% of the finish off.
i would always try a 1200 PSi power washer first just incase that did it - it often does once the paint has been chemicalised.
also oxalic acid is top dog for steel or iron - it turns rust into steel (on the surface) and can stay as a protective coating afterwards.