Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default chubb single nozzle safe deposit lock

Anyone have any information about this lock, unusual in that the renters key trips the detector when locking the lock and then won't work again until the detector is reset ( I assume by the guard key).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb sd detector (1).jpg   chubb sd detector (2).jpg   chubb sd detector (3).jpg   chubb sd detector (4).jpg   chubb sd detector (5).jpg  

chubb sd detector (6).jpg   chubb sd detector (7).jpg   chubb sd detector (8).jpg   chubb sd detector (9).jpg   chubb sd detector (10).jpg  

Got also one of these. I don't have any information about them, but this is IMHO a very elegant solution. The single key hole deposit locks we have here in Germany need many more parts with the double-bitted keys. Will have to make a bank key for this.

I really wonder how this lock was mounted on the door because on this key hole cup is on the front end a lip. This suggests, that the cup is inserted from the front of the door while the look is mounted on the back. But this doesn't work because the cup must be secured with a screw from the back of the lock cover and the cover must be mounted onto the lock body by screws from the front.

Not sure of the guard/bank keys effect on the action of the detector Gary but can explain the fixing mystery that Cepasaccus raised, although if you took it off you must already know!

The clues are the lack of holes in the lockcase for bolt-through fixings, the two shaped cut-outs in the front cap, and the small hole in the back of the case near the front guide nozzle or 'cup' as cepasaccus called it.

The shaped cut-outs in the front fit over mushroom head or hooked backplate on the back of the door and the lock slides horizontally to engage them. This aligns the central round hole in the cap with a matching hole in the door front for the guide nozzle(cup). The nozzle is then fitted to the lock from the front with the flange or lip overlapping the outside. The retaining screw is then fitted through the small hole in the back of the lock(case), leaving the lock and nozzle firmly fixed in position, the nozzle preventing the lock sliding to disengage. Probably...

Thank you, Huw! I missed the meaning of the hole on the back. Normally this is for the tip of the key, but indeed in this lock it is for the access to the small screw fixing the key guide nozzle.

Regarding the detector mechanism:
    The default state of the lock is with activated detector. The bank key deactivates it just like a detector is supposed to be deactivated, i.e. by locking the lock a bit more. The small gates for the bank key are independent from the real gates for the customer key. The customer key can after deactivation of the detector unlock the lock. Upon locking the lock the key pushes down this special L-shaped lever which in turn pushes up this special lever which is longer than the others. That activates the detector which operates only on this lever and keeps this lever up. When a customer tries to unlock the lock the six other levers are positioned correctly, but this special lever still sits to high and blocks the bolt stump.

I bought the lock online so have never seen it mounted, was expecting something a bit more standard inside so the use of the detector to give dual control surprised me a bit,

Thread Information