Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Is this a locksmith's tool? plus odd key

Okay! So maybe after all it may be Yale Lock. AS what Huw and Pete said the lock may be Burg Wacters lock. This mean you may end up find a blank for that lock. I have no idea of what blank it would be but maybe Huw may know. Good look luck....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    No you not going to find the key blank like the one you post the first time. They no longer made those kind of blank. To me it look like Y-1 999-5 pin 999B-4 or 5-pin. As least you have a good old lock from Yale....Timothy....
    I'm guessing that custom incised Yale key, obviously made for Max Frankel; an olde time locksmith in Syracuse, NY was intended to encourage a return to that shop for replacement keys and also that genuine Yale blanks be utilized. It likely dates to the early 20th century. See thumbnail of an advertising card from Mr. Frankel. The other thumbnail is of a similar Yale-type key made for another long-gone local locksmith in Buffalo, NY. It is not marked Yale however and likely came from an after-market manufacturer. Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HLPetersYaleKey.jpg   MaxFrankelLocksmithCardSyracuseNY.jpg  

The Max Frankel Yale and the Buffalo NY key Pete added have coined bows with raised markings like factory originals. They are not incised or engraved but factory coined from dies which indicates investment in tooling costs and the inevitable quantities involved. Probably a lot more expensive back then compared to having the same made today.

Nowadays usually done on a one-off tooling charge and/or higher minimum order quantities, the numbers involved suggests there would have been a lot more of those around back at the time. Over time many will have been lost and discarded as locks become repaired or replaced.

Its common practice over here and presumably still so, your side of the pond, for locksmiths to have their most frequently used blanks made with company name and phone number. We had quite a few done and they proved an effective source of repeat key cutting and business as Pete suggested.

Thanks again for the info! This forum is a wealth of knowledge! I am new to the site but I have learned a lot in a short time. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and time!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    The Max Frankel Yale and the Buffalo NY key Pete added have coined bows with raised markings like factory originals. They are not incised or engraved but factory coined from dies which indicates investment in tooling costs and the inevitable quantities involved. Probably a lot more expensive back then compared to having the same made today. Nowadays usually done on a one-off tooling charge and/or higher minimum order quantities, the numbers involved suggests there would have been a lot more of those around back at the time. Over time many will have been lost and discarded as locks become repaired or replaced. Its common practice over here and presumably still so, your side of the pond, for locksmiths to have their most frequently used blanks made with company name and phone number. We had quite a few done and they proved an effective source of repeat key cutting and business as Pete suggested.
    Custom incised and/or coined key blanks are still offered to the trade on this side of the pond by after market manufacturers Ilco, Jet, Kustom Key and perhaps others. Many are available in the customer's choice of brass or nickel silver material. Minimum order and die charges apply as Huw suggests. Some the the OEM manufactuers can furnish key bows incised with stock legends such as Do Not Duplicate, U.S. Property Do Not Duplicate and similar for contract jobs and special applications. Pete Schifferli

Default keyhole blocking lock US

I have not seen a keyhole blocker of exactly that form. Burg Wachter ones are still common, as Europe still uses locks with bitkeys. Four decades ago, they supplied quantities to [Electrolux?] to lock domestic chest freezers, and I still have my lock, though the freezer has gone.

Corbin made a kh blocker, from memory, 1930s but i cannot now find the record.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    I have not seen a keyhole blocker of exactly that form. Burg Wachter ones are still common, as Europe still uses locks with bitkeys. Four decades ago, they supplied quantities to [Electrolux?] to lock domestic chest freezers, and I still have my lock, though the freezer has gone.
    Corbin made a kh blocker, from memory, 1930s but i cannot now find the record.
    See pdf attached of No. 4 Keil Automatic Key Hole Lock taken from Keil Catalog No. 54, ca. 1956. The identical product was also sold under the Ilco marque as No. 444. In 1941 the Ilco version had a list price of $5.60 per dozen.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Is this a locksmith's tool? plus odd key

Have seen lot of those on eBay. Not sure as this more like it than differ company....Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KEY HOLE GUARD lock pin tumbler SHEPARDSON patent Providence Rhode Island  [$9.99] 1.jpg   KEY HOLE GUARD lock pin tumbler SHEPARDSON patent Providence Rhode Island  [$9.99] 2.jpg   KEY HOLE GUARD lock pin tumbler SHEPARDSON patent Providence Rhode Island  [$9.99] 8.jpg  

Thread Information