Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Milner safe identification

Can anyone help with this Milner safe. The dimensions are 40x41x43 cams it has two rectangle locking bolts. The inside door had Milners patent thief resisting. On the frame are 2 sets of numbers/letters
    G6069 and L297
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9D6C1A30-D604-4451-BF3A-A3097CCD12C5.jpeg   image.jpg   5A11837C-DFAB-40FB-AE45-83D448C7D510.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Calconjack View Post
    Can anyone help with this Milner safe. The dimensions are 40x41x43 cams it has two rectangle locking bolts. The inside door had Milners patent thief resisting. On the frame are 2 sets of numbers/letters
    G6069 and L297

Here a pic pic of the inside door
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9E6FF7C4-702F-4227-A3E5-6C84CE15B8BC.jpeg  

G6069 and L297
    This is a List 3 Holdfast Plate Safe (no fire-resisting linings).
    The number G6069 would appear to have been misread as the maximum number for that year (1895), was 4973. More likely then to be the number L297 which would have been made in 1900.
    Anything else?

I’m Thanks Safeman. I have misread them, I have put pics of the numbers on. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

I’m Thanks Safeman. I have misread them, I have put pics of the numbers on. Thanks

Would the cream door door have been the original colour? And would it have any other brass ware? Does it have any value and would painting it change the value? Thanks

Would the cream door door have been the original colour? And would it have any other brass ware? Does it have any value and would painting it change the value? Thanks
    Regarding the numbers the prefix almost looks like a 'O' or a 'C', but I'll go for the 'C' which is for the year 1891 because the number after the initial being 6068 is within the total production for that year of 8130 which is much more than for the 'O' year which was only 3715.

As for the colour the inside is original but the outside could have been repainted as that was often the practice for companies like Withygrove when reconditioning safes. The attached photograph is an example but the finish could have changed from year to year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner Fr & Strong Holdfast plate Safe (4).JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	21354 Name plates often come up on Ebay but the one illustrated is for a fire-resisting quality it's not quite accurate but will that matter? As your safe is on the small side it may require a smaller plate than this one.

Safes like this have little if any value, especially when the costs of collection and reinstallation are taken into account. Why don't you give it a home? Milner was the largest safe-maker in the world in Victorian times.

Regards.

Thread Information