Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Searching for a replacement key for a family item.

Hello!

I'm from Howell, Michigan, USA. My wife has an old lockbox with an Eagle lock without a key. In fact she doesn't know if it ever had one. It was her mother's keepsake box and holds a lot of sentimental value. It looks like a very straightforward, simple type of lock, so I hope the key will be easy to find. However, I know NOTHING about locks! So it could be more complex than I think. Please look at the attached photos. Unfortunately, there were no identifying marks or numbers other than the name. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaphod View Post
    Hello!

I'm from Howell, Michigan, USA. My wife has an old lockbox with an Eagle lock without a key. In fact she doesn't know if it ever had one. It was her mother's keepsake box and holds a lot of sentimental value. It looks like a very straightforward, simple type of lock, so I hope the key will be easy to find. However, I know NOTHING about locks! So it could be more complex than I think. Please look at the attached photos. Unfortunately, there were no identifying marks or numbers other than the name. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
    Your photo(s) didn't load, scroll down to and click on [manage attachments], click [Browse] and select a file, then click on [Upload], this will create a thumbnail of your image within your post. Eagle Lock Co., once one of America's largest lock manufacturers; went out-of-business ca 1975.

Pete Schifferli

Default Searching for a replacement key for a family item

Sorry about the missed photos. Hopefully, they'll be successfully attached to this message. Thank you for your patience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040307_c.JPG   P1040312_c.JPG   P1040309_c.JPG   P1040317_c.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaphod View Post
    Sorry about the missed photos. Hopefully, they'll be successfully attached to this message. Thank you for your patience.
    Your lock looks very similar to the old Eagle No. 8742-1/2 suit case lock which used their No. 8341 barrel key blank. See thumbnails attached from Eagle Lock Co. Catalog No. 52 (c) 1938. Thus you need to search for a small barrel key which will fit your lock, the 'flag' can be filed down to fit if necessary; if you have an olde time locksmith nearby they can help.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eagle8742.5suitCaseLock.jpg   Eagle8341barrellKeyBlank.jpg  

Default Searching for a replacement key for a family item

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Your lock looks very similar to the old Eagle No. 8742-1/2 suit case lock which used their No. 8341 barrel key blank. See thumbnails attached from Eagle Lock Co. Catalog No. 52 (c) 1938. Thus you need to search for a small barrel key which will fit your lock, the 'flag' can be filed down to fit if necessary; if you have an olde time locksmith nearby they can help.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for the information on my Eagle lock & Key - I very much appreciate your help! I don't have much experience with locksmiths, but I'm sure one of our local ones should be able to help.

Suggest you take Pschiffe's recommendation for an "olde time locksmith" to heart. While everything has its time and place, its one type of art to "up sell", "use the latest technology", "get on the cutting edge", etc.
    But it is a different type that is learned through working for years with a knowledgeable "greybeard". I think that is the art you are seek in this instance.

Thread Information