Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Restore Victor Safe?

Hello All, new member here. I have an old Victor safe (late 1800s?), working and with original dark green paint. I was thinking of restoring it, however I am curious if this is a bad idea. I am on the fence between restoring or just polishing up the existing paint and putting a sheet of glass on top (I will be moving this into my office).Any thoughts?

Brian

Hello Brian, pictures are essential for members to see exactly what Victor safe you have and what condition it's in. Here's how to add some;
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-to-your-posts

Sorry for that, had to find older pics I had as it's a little too dark to take pictures where it's at now....here's a front and an open picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3c9381a4910d3c6d3af67d4234356216.jpg   1468686834938.jpg  

Hi Brian, congratulations for your safe. i will be happy with a same sized victor ! i have one small victor fully restored but was in a poor condition and now with 20 old safes and some in original condition your seem to be keep like this. this is a personal advice but now i prefer original ones. of course if they are not too rusty or loose too much paint. keep a safe not restored was something impossible for me 3/4 years ago so if you have a doubt just.... wait. if you collected a old victor this is probably that you are sensible about antique things and a restore safe, even you do a wonderful work, can not matching with the charm of an original one. no way.
    however your is a little bit "flat" so you can try to add fine paint lines on the front by inspiring on ornamented victor's originals photos and apply a clear coat. you won't regret !
    good luck

There are people around who have fun "restoring" an old safe to a perfect state, i.e. flawless, polished surface. It requires a lot of skill and work, which can be admired, but I do not like the result. I do consider two types of restorations with some mix in between:
    1) Cleaning and conserving it (which would probably include a lubrication of bolts and hinges)
    1a) Additionally making it work if something is broken.
    2) Restoring it to a state how it was when it was new or in usage (including the same flaws and imperfections)
    In your case I would choose option 1a because there is quite a lot of old painting still there.

Thread Information