Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chatwood's in The Bank on Colledge Green (Dublin)

I was last week in Dublin and went for dinner to this restaurant and then to the toilet.

Serial numbers of the free standing safes are 21780, 21781, 21782. One of the doors has a s/n of 2065 and the other something similar. It looks to me like the doors are just for decoration there. The interior decoration is from about 1895 - 1900 done for the The Belfast Bank.

What locks did Chatwood use?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The_Bank-1.jpg   The_Bank-2.jpg   The_Bank-3.jpg   The_Bank-4.jpg   The_Bank-5.jpg  

The_Bank-6.jpg   The_Bank-7.jpg   The_Bank-8.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Nice find! Great to see old safes and SRD's in their original livery like that. Locks-wise I think Chatwood used all their own stuff like their single bitted and double bitted Impregnable but safeman or Tom would know for sure.

Probably something similar to these on the safes and doors, the grille gate lock looks like it could have been an interesting one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chatwood invincible (2).jpg  

or double bitted invincibles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chatwood invincible grille gate (8).jpg  

All key holes were for single bitted keys. So your single bitted example lock might be what these safes were installed with. Thanks.

they did do a smaller bodied version of that single bitted lock as well but it had the same levers / invincible stump but with the bolt head below the levers blocking the boltwork.

The only safe locks that they bought in were earlier with the keyhole being horizontal normally, so these were likely to be Chatwood locks as Gary described although often in a vault with two keyholes, one would be double bitted keys and the other single bitted. They would make whatever the customer asked for though.
    these are 1895

Then they must be from the time when The Belfast Bank opened its business in this building at the end of the 1890s.

When I saw the other day a Chatwood Invincible on ebay I couln't resist. It looks exactly like Gary's. 8 levers. Serial I38558 (or 138558, but the first letter looks more like an I). The front cover has iron discs where the key hole is and at two additional locations. Perhaps to cover holes in the brass plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    The front cover has iron discs where the key hole is and at two additional locations. Perhaps to cover holes in the brass plate?
    This is a high quality lock off a high quality safe/vault. They don’t have holes which need covering.
    Every single aspect of the lock has a purpose, if only one can work out why. This one is easy though. They are hardened disks which would rotate to frustrate anyone trying to drill though them and are at critical places where a hole could allow the lock to be opened without the key.

Thread Information