Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default I would like some help identifying a Hobb's & Co key with a royal connection

I have a key, brass I think, with a number 182 on one side and the letters V R with a crown in the middle on the other side. Made by Hobbs and Co London. It is approx. 3" long and weighs about 60gms. Any information would be appreciated so I may find out hopefully when it was made and for what lock or purpose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key 1.jpg   Key 2.jpg  

Possibly a grille gate key, might be bronze, difficult to tell without seeing it. Like a mortice type key (with collar and symmetrical cuts) for operating from both sides of a lock, but with a weight of 60 grammes and only 3 inches long it's heavier build suggests a grille gate key to me. Hobb's made all sorts of heavy mortice locks, mortice latches and banking equipment.
    The VR crown is the Royal cypher mark for Victoria's reign, (Victoria Regina)so narrows it down to 1837-1901.

Default Hobbs Key

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Possibly a grille gate key, might be bronze, difficult to tell without seeing it. Like a mortice type key (with collar and symmetrical cuts) for operating from both sides of a lock, but with a weight of 60 grammes and only 3 inches long it's heavier build suggests a grille gate key to me. Hobb's made all sorts of heavy mortice locks, mortice latches and banking equipment.
    The VR crown is the Royal cypher mark for Victoria's reign, (Victoria Regina)so narrows it down to 1837-1901.
    Thank you for the reply - the grille gate makes sense as it is so heavy and numbered. Do you know how I might be able to find out more about the records of Hobbs & Co, presumably if it was made for a royal gate or similar there would be a record.

Thanks

Not sure that key would be special enough to be traceable through Hobb's records to be honest, I would say it's more likely from the later end of the Victorian timeline, but hopefully someone else might know for sure.
    Also not sure if Royal parks access continued into Victoria's reign. What's been discussed on here before was I think a peak in the trend long before this back in the Georgian period, when fancy hand made bridge warded keys were still in use. Again hopefully someone else can throw more light on it for you.

Thank you for this - will keep trying and see if I can find out anymore. Perhaps someone will recognise it instantly - can only hope!

Regards

Caspian

Thread Information