Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milners Safe

Default Milners Safe

Ive recently bought this safe knowing nothing about it. It is 22" width, 22" depth and 28" Height. It has two internal locking drawers and on the reverse of the door is stamped 212. The numbers on the keys read I-1026 and it matches the same number on the right hand top side of the safe. On the top left hand side is written 1862 could this be a date?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Regards

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG 2.JPG   IMG 3.JPG   IMG 4.JPG   IMG 5.JPG   IMG 6.JPG  

IMG 7.JPG   IMG 8.JPG   IMG_1268.jpg  

Hello Steve, can you post a pic with the door open showing the back of the door, locking bolts etc, Milners List 2's and List 3s been covered lots on here, here's dates for some lock numbers;
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...hp/2751-Milner
    The search function top right of each page will show up everything covered, search terms like List 2, List 3, Strong Holdfast etc
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 06-05-19 at 02:23 PM.

[QUOTE=Steve Coles;31036]Ive recently bought this safe knowing nothing about it. It is 22" width, 22" depth and 28" Height. It has two internal locking drawers and on the reverse of the door is stamped 212. The numbers on the keys read I-1026 and it matches the same number on the right hand top side of the safe. On the top left hand side is written 1862 could this be a date?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Steve, serial number I-1026 is a List 3 Milner made in 1897. Number 1862 will be the lock number.

Default Milners Safe

Evt
    Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello Steve, can you post a pic with the door open showing the back of the door, locking bolts etc, Milners List 2's and List 3s been covered lots on here, here's dates for some lock numbers;
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...hp/2751-Milner
    The search function top right of each page will show up everything covered, search terms like List 2, List 3, Strong Holdfast etc
    Hi Huw, thanks for your reply. I’ve taken some photos as requested but am unable to post them as they need shrinking? I need some help doing this and will send them as soon as I can. Kind regards, Steve.

No need Steve, safeman has already identified and dated it from the serial number.

No need Steve, safeman has already identified and dated it from the serial number.
    Steve,
    From an historical point of view however I would be very interested to know what the back of the door looks like. Are the sliding bolts rectangular or round? From the date of 1897 the banded body should have been square cornered with a bolted on lockcase and rectangular bolts.
    Yours, having a four corner bent body should have a solid lockcase of angle iron with round bolts but which my records indicate was not in production until about 20 years later.
    To save you the trouble of reducing the file size of your photographs and as an additional check, is the edge of the door plate ½'' thick or 1'' thick?
    Thanks in anticipation.....

Default Milners Safe

Hi,

The door plate is a half inch thick and the locking bolts are rectangular not round. If you need me to send photos I can send them to your mobilevia WhatsApp?

Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 09-05-19 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Mobile number removed

[QUOTE=Steve Coles;31063]Hi,

The door plate is a half inch thick and the locking bolts are rectangular not round. If you need me to send photos I can send them to your mobilevia WhatsApp?

Very kind of you Steve but I haven't a clue about today's communications systems. Your information is quite enough to confirm that Milners were earlier than I had previously thought in bending their safe bodies.
    Thanks, John.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 09-05-19 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Mobile number removed

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Very kind of you Steve but I haven't a clue about today's communications systems. Your information is quite enough to confirm that Milners were earlier than I had previously thought in bending their safe bodies.
    Thanks, John.
    Safeman if it's any help and having the pics will complete the dates puzzle I can PM my mobile number to Steve as I have WhatsApp and can then post it up here.
    If not, I will wait a day or so and remove steves mobile number for obvious reasons.

Safeman if it's any help and having the pics will complete the dates puzzle I can PM my mobile number to Steve as I have WhatsApp and can then post it up here.
    If not, I will wait a day or so and remove steves mobile number for obvious reasons.

Yes Huw, it will complete the initial post and may even lead to something else.

Thread Information