Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milners Safe

Default Milners safe

Is it possible to tell me the weight of this safe please. Regards Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Coles View Post
    Is it possible to tell me the weight of this safe please. Regards Steve
    About 5¼ cwts.

Default Milners safe

Was this safe designed to be built in or freestanding. Kind regards Steve

In some government departments this would have been classified as a "sub standard plate safe".

Instructions were that they should be bricked into wall. They weren't designed to be built in, but if they are it increases the security of the unit. I suppose it adds a certain amount of resistance to fire as well.

If you can handle the weight, the process is fairly straightforward. If you can take your time it is very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    In some government departments this would have been classified as a "sub standard plate safe".

Instructions were that they should be bricked into wall.
    Apart from the army, can't think of any government departments after 1950s that were still using Victorian safes and bricking them into walls. Some smaller sub post offices sometimes got away with it but regards the army they used to set most of them in the wall anyway, decent stuff like Stratfords and even the bankers grade 1As got bricked in!

Default Milners safe

Thanks Huw this is very helpful. Can some one tell me the best way to clean the handles an plate as Brasso won’t touch it😂. Is it Brass !!🤔. Regards Steve

Pour a 2 litre bottle of the cheapest supermarket lemonade in a plastic bucket and chuck it all in. The citric acid content is mild so takes longer but will not affect or damage the brass- perfect job.might need to leave it in for a few days or more but keep checking it and remove, soft brush and rinse once it's all bright.

Default Milners Safe

That great thanks again . I have one small problem of removing the leaver handle which moves the locking bolts, i have removed the single screw but nothing is moving help. Every thing else has been removed. regards Steve

Default Milners Safe

All sorted, just a little stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Apart from the army, can't think of any government departments after 1950s that were still using Victorian safes and bricking them into walls. Some smaller sub post offices sometimes got away with it but regards the army they used to set most of them in the wall anyway, decent stuff like Stratfords and even the bankers grade 1As got bricked in!
    Yes, mainly forces bases. I was thinking more of the safe in somewhere that is an armoury or had been one. There all that mattered was keeping small items somewhere relatively secure rather than any sort of cash coverage. Also once in and bricked in they would tend to stay where put as it would be too much trouble to move them. So you might get a classroom with a safe built in because many years back it had been an adjutant's office.

Thread Information