Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old safe with unusual interlaced outer skin

Unusual interlaced outer armour.

I first thought the crenelated outer plates were added post production but the numbers stamped on top edge go over the outer plate.

Can't believe the rough finish

Anyone shed any light on this please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image5895130098690740349.jpg   Image5593295330482090384.jpg   Image841584228563437825.jpg   Image1897025584032463448.jpg  

Door and boltcase looks similar to some Phillip's safes Alan, they often used the round nuts and similar hinges with the step half way down, but I think without the flutes and mostly chamfered to the door.
    That wacky castellated outer skin doesnt ring any bells though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
    Unusual interlaced outer armour.

I first thought the crenelated outer plates were added post production but the numbers stamped on top edge go over the outer plate.

Can't believe the rough finish

Anyone shed any light on this please?

Alan, in the mid 1850's this method of joining the body plates was not uncommon if the need for heavier plates was desirable either to give resistance against physical dismemberment or to create a stronger structure for fire resistance and masonry collapse which after all was the original intention of the word 'safe'.

Chatwood also used this method from the 1860's by machine dovetailing which gave a much stronger union but without the obvious plenished finish on the surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whitfield dovetail.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	21292 This is an early Whitfield. It has always been an accepted fact that body plates of ¼'' or more cannot be ripped by hand tools.

I'm astonished it left the works without being finished / smoothed / trimmed / filled whatever to stop it looking like a novice piece. Could easily get a chisel against the bits sticking out

hi guys. i can confirm the back of one of my milners is made on the same method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milners A.jpg   milners B.jpg  

Thread Information