Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hello from CA, interested in any information regarding a George Titterton safe

Hello All,

I'm happy to have found this group, as I have seen a lot of interesting posts, advice and activity since I first found out about this forum several weeks back.

We inherited a George Titterton safe a number of years back, and while we can open it and operate the handle, there was no key. The safe itself appears to be in good condition, possibly original paint, and stands about 30 in. tall by about 20 in by 20 in. width and depth (outside dimensions).

I wonder if it might be possible to remove the back of the safe door and access the lock mechanism to either replace it with a similar lock (with key) or somehow reverse engineer the key to this old safe. I'm hesitant to try removing any nuts or bolts without some guidance in the matter, since I don't want to cause more harm that good if it is not feasible to re-key this safe.

Thanks and glad to be here!
    -bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe_front.jpg   safe_inner_door.jpg   safe_inside.jpg   safe_serial.jpg  

Hello Bill, it's an easy enough job to remove the lock to make a key for it.
    First, remove the central brass acorn nut and washer from the back of the door and withdraw the brass knob assembly from the front. Then undo the 4 hex bolts in each corner making sure you keep them in order- best to mark each one under the head where it won't show. That will free the boltcase from the doorplate giving you access to the lock.

The lock is more than likely screwed to the boltcase (4 screws)and easily removed to work on, but some were riveted in which case you'll have to settle for just removing the locks cover (cap) and do the work insitu.
    Make sure your locksmith numbers each of the the levers on dis-assembly to make the first key, and re-assembles them one at a time in a different order, making the key to fit as he goes along. It is good practise to ensure a high lift Lever replaces a previous lower lift etc. It will be a pretty basic 6 or 7 Lever lock, nothing fancy so should be straightforward enough to complete.

Thread Information