Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Very old Yale tubular lockset

The Challenger lock as i recall only did it one time and that the last i ever heard. I'm sure may be able to buy these key somewhere but not going to find very many of these lock around.....Timothy.....

Found two Patent Number for Hollymade door knob.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Found two Patent Number for Hollymade door knob.
    Interesting find Timothy, but it doesn't appear that either of those patents are like the Challenger lock in question!

Pete Schifferli

Yes I know. That will be the harder one to lock for, I'm still looking as you all know just about how many patent number they have for all these lock.....Timothy.....

Default Yes this is a difficult one...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Yes I know. That will be the harder one to lock for, I'm still looking as you all know just about how many patent number they have for all these lock.....Timothy.....
    Normally I don't collect anything cylindrical or tubular, too modern.

I have two of these, one passage function and one entrance. It uses the standard Yale PARA keyway.

I just wish I could remember the model number...years ago I saw one like this in the typical red Yale box.

Eons ago I too ran across one of these. Based on the similarity to the Sargent 8 Line locks, I decided it was produced for Yale by Sargent during the time Yale was moving manufacturing.
    This was based in part on a apocryphal story I'd heard years before: When Yale moved its manufacturing to Lenoir City, TN, employees at the old plant took exception to losing their jobs and sabotaged some equipment.
    Sorry to muddy the waters even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhair View Post
    Eons ago I too ran across one of these. Based on the similarity to the Sargent 8 Line locks, I decided it was produced for Yale by Sargent during the time Yale was moving manufacturing.
    This was based in part on a apocryphal story I'd heard years before: When Yale moved its manufacturing to Lenoir City, TN, employees at the old plant took exception to losing their jobs and sabotaged some equipment.
    Could be, I believe Yale moved to Lenoir City ca 1953. As you may know, after about sixty years; they subsequently shuttered that plant and moved manufacturing to Berlin, CT around 2012!

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Could be, I believe Yale moved to Lenoir City ca 1953. As you may know, after about sixty years; they subsequently shuttered that plant and moved manufacturing to Berlin, CT around 2012!
    Pete Schifferli
    I should have mentioned that Yale Commercial moved in with their ASSA ABLOY cousin, Corbin Russwin; into what was once described as the world's largest lock manufacturing plant in Berlin, CT. Some Corbin Russwin and Yale Commercial production was also transferred to Yale Mexico ASSA ABLOY at about that time.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhair View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. That lock chassis does look a lot like a Sargent 8 line. Makes me wonder if the picture I found in the Challenger catalog was a match after all.
    BBE.

Thread Information