Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Very old Yale tubular lockset

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently come across a very old Yale lockset which looks alot like a Sargent 8 line tubular. I believe it is a GY series lock (does this even exist?)

I don’t think it’s a D-1 tubular (which I have the parts diagrams for), and it definitely is not anything newer in the 5200,5300,5400 series. The two halves of the lock body are held together by a large metal ring that circles the entire thing. It is fastened to the door with large nuts that screw down on the knob collars under the decorative roses. The inside knob even has double retainers (2 poke holes opposite each other). The cylinder has the old style YALE logo with the border stamped on the plug just like many of the old mono locks did.

Any idea what model it is, how old it might be, or how to take it apart? Any info is greatly appreciated.

It would really help if you can post picture of the lock and would give us just idea of what lock you are talking about....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I’ve recently come across a very old Yale lockset which looks alot like a Sargent 8 line tubular. I believe it is a GY series lock (does this even exist?)

I don’t think it’s a D-1 tubular (which I have the parts diagrams for), and it definitely is not anything newer in the 5200,5300,5400 series. The two halves of the lock body are held together by a large metal ring that circles the entire thing. It is fastened to the door with large nuts that screw down on the knob collars under the decorative roses. The inside knob even has double retainers (2 poke holes opposite each other). The cylinder has the old style YALE logo with the border stamped on the plug just like many of the old mono locks did.

Any idea what model it is, how old it might be, or how to take it apart? Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Nothing like you describe found in my vintage Yale catalogs ca. 1929, 1959, 1969; that trademark design was said to have been in use from 1910-1959. An image would be helpful.

Pete Schifferli

Default Some pictures..

Here are a couple of photos of the lockset.... I've looked through catalogs and can't find it anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YALE01.JPG   YALE02.JPG  

Here are a couple of photos of the lockset.... I've looked through catalogs and can't find it anywhere.
    I took the liberty of posting your images over on the ClearStar Security Network, a restricted access forum for professional locksmiths and safe-techs of which I am a member. Hopefully one of their extremely knowledgeable members will be able to help, and if so; I will report the results here.

Pete Schifferli

I have been doing lot of Yale door knob. This was the first i seen as only the latch it differ than what i have seen so far. The only thing i can think of it screw the big ring part back in and see if you can find a small pin hole around there. If there it that may be it to put a small tool in to pull the knob off. This only my guess and hoping Pete can find someone who know....Timothy.....

Here two Old Yale I'm talking about where hole at to get the knob off....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YLL.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I took the liberty of posting your images over on the ClearStar Security Network, a restricted access forum for professional locksmiths and safe-techs of which I am a member. Hopefully one of their extremely knowledgeable members will be able to help, and if so; I will report the results here.
    Pete Schifferli
    Billy B. Edwards, Jr. (BBE)+ who is also a member here, reported over on ClearStar Security Network that this was likely a re-branded Challenger lockset, Challenger Lock & Hardware was once a division of Yale & Towne. Challenger dates back to 1937 and was sold to Yale & Towne in 1959 which phased out the Challenger operation and name in 1969*. Thus your lockset would likely date to that era. See thumbnail for a latch image he sourced from a ca 1950s catalog.

+BBE now retired, has had a long and distinguished career in the locksmith & hardware industry including a stint with Yale beginning in 1989
    *The Builders Hardware Industry 1830s to 1990s, (c) 1996 by Walter H. McAninch, pg. 19

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Challenger5Dlatch.jpg  

Default thanks for all the research..

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Billy B. Edwards, Jr. (BBE)+ who is also a member here, reported over on ClearStar Security Network that this was likely a re-branded Challenger lockset, Challenger Lock & Hardware was once a division of Yale & Towne. Challenger dates back to 1937 and was sold to Yale & Towne in 1959 which phased out the Challenger operation and name in 1969*. Thus your lockset would likely date to that era. See thumbnail for a latch image he sourced from a ca 1950s catalog.

+BBE now retired, has had a long and distinguished career in the locksmith & hardware industry including a stint with Yale beginning in 1989
    *The Builders Hardware Industry 1830s to 1990s, (c) 1996 by Walter H. McAninch, pg. 19

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks Pete for posting this on CleaStar; it never crossed my mind that this might be from one of the companies Yale bought out in the early 1900’s. I knew about Barrows & Sager, but not Challenger (as in Hollymade?). Now that’s a name most people have never heard of before.

Thanks Pete for posting this on CleaStar; it never crossed my mind that this might be from one of the companies Yale bought out in the early 1900’s. I knew about Barrows & Sager, but not Challenger (as in Hollymade?). Now that’s a name most people have never heard of before.
    Hollymade was apparently an earlier name for the Challenger Lock Co. According to Mr. McAninch's book, Hollymade Hardware Mfg. Co. was formed in 1940 and the company name changed to Challenger Lock Co. in 1953. I also sourced a Hollymade Hardware Mfg. Co. catalog ca 1966 which states "Division of Laing Industries Ltd." in Ontario, Canada. Apparently a different company?

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information