Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default George Price 86 Queen Street query?

Hi all, Has anyone came across this plaque before or came across the address 86, Queen st, Cheapside. associated with George Price. I can’t find anything and wondered if it might be a dodgy plaque. ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19532DBD-AA88-453F-B98F-BB61419B1653.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Hi all, Has anyone came across this plaque before or came across the address 86, Queen st, Cheapside. associated with George Price. I can’t find anything and wondered if it might be a dodgy plaque. ?

Warren, it's quite genuine. 1884 advert.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1884 Price.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	21145

I notice the advert says 34 Queen Victoria St, but the plaque says 68 Queen St ? Both London but am I missing something?

Warren that plate has all the hallmarks of a classic Jodhpur mishmash. You can disregard the address as there's still enough issues with it to write a book on!

I thought so Huw, couldn’t find address anywhere and thought the cheapside was a load of bull because that’s on all the Hobbs stuff. What did you think of the Hobbs I posted? I’ve never seen a brass version before ,have you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D7B82695-13A1-46B2-9C84-C899ED378124.jpeg  

From that photo the Hobb's Hart brass casting looks on par with the painted iron ones so not an obvious repro to me, and it's certainly not a mishmash like the George Price, but I've never collected them only saw them on safes out in the field. You really need someone like Tom to confirm nitty gritty details like manufacturers variations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    From that photo the Hobb's Hart brass casting looks on par with the painted iron ones so not an obvious repro to me, and it's certainly not a mishmash like the George Price, but I've never collected them only saw them on safes out in the field. You really need someone like Tom to confirm nitty gritty details like manufacturers variations etc.
    Thanks Huw, your a star mate 😀

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	715FA2CB-7764-40AB-BB7A-5E32B6C0489C.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	21160
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    I thought so Huw, couldn’t find address anywhere and thought the cheapside was a load of bull because that’s on all the Hobbs stuff. What did you think of the Hobbs I posted? I’ve never seen a brass version before ,have you?
    this is a very high quality 10” by 7.5” plate - far better than the iron ones and pretty rare, but as you now know, not unique

Thanks Tom, just received mine from seller and I’m quite happy it’s original due to condition and the fact you have confirmed the existence of brass versions. Yours is a beauty! I would give anything to see your collection. This one is the smaller version with the addition of LIMtd as opposed to the cast iron ones. I have one that has Ld and two without. The one with the white lettering is just plain cast iron which I coated with satin varnish and then added the white paint. One is polished cast iron & one just plain. These and the Lips plaques are probably my favourite plaque designs I have. I’ll post pics of the brass one after I’ve stripped the paint and (maybe) polished. Thanks again guys.

Unsure what I’m doing wrong but having trouble loading pics from my iPhone. Normally it works. I’ll try later!

Very strange regarding that George Price 86 Queen St plate originally posted. Someone was very quick to anonymously upload that same photo to the GP pages of Grace's Guide. At the same time all traces of the plate for sale have been removed, it no longer appears under items from the seller or completed listings.

Thread Information