Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Very strange regarding that George Price 86 Queen St plate originally posted. Someone was very quick to anonymously upload that same photo to the GP pages of Grace's Guide. At the same time all traces of the plate for sale have been removed, it no longer appears under items from the seller or completed listings.
    Yes the seller who has it has told me that Graces have confirmed that GP has been recorded at the address in question. Says she is going to re-list it. I was dubious because I couldn’t understand why it doesn’t have the 212 patent on it, which would make it pre 1855. I just don’t know to be honest, I thought Tom might know of it’s existence. It’s getting to the point that it’s not safe to buy off eBay anymore.
    The Hobbs plaque I bought is highly suspect too. When I stripped the paint it turns out to have a few casting issues and seems to have been spray painted with a red oxide that won’t budge. I’ll try and load some pics but for some reason I’ve been having problems getting them to load lately. The guy I bought it off had a few Hobbs escutcheons and a Chatwood Plaque and handle that all seemed to have the same pagination. Nobody bid except me and another bidder for this Hobbs. The thing that’s raised my doubts is it seems to have been masked off on parts when it’s been sprayed. I’ll have a go again to see if I can load pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   E7A12774-8817-4067-B20D-567B7FEEFDE4.jpeg   77E17943-3FD0-4D49-BA52-0CEB50124271.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Yes the seller who has it has told me that Graces have confirmed that GP has been recorded at the address in question. Says she is going to re-list it. I was dubious because I couldn’t understand why it doesn’t have the 212 patent on it, which would make it pre 1855. I just don’t know to be honest, I thought Tom might know of it’s existence. It’s getting to the point that it’s not safe to buy off eBay anymore.
    Well I'd need a lot more convincing as the London address may well be correct, it's the rest of the plate that doesn't add up to me.

Consider any of George Price's plates of that style, ie the treble patent, improved patent etc. The first thing that's noticeable is the quality of the actual castings, and all of the fine detail. They are beautifully cast plates with precise detail and crisp definition throughout, whereas that one isn't.

With regards to lettering, the George Price plates of that style Ive seen have always read PRICE'S with an apostrophe, and not PRICE without the apostrophe like that one.

All the ones I've seen have had the same style font top and bottom within concentric circles, not a mixture of fonts or with and without serifs within the same circle like that one has. 'LONDON' should be in the same font as 'GEORGE PRICE' and with the serifs on the letters.

With regards to the lack of 212 markings I honestly don't know, but it's clear to see on that one that the quatrefoils used instead were positioned by the pattern maker, presumably after 10 pints of strong beer. Again, the ones I've seen had the little oval 212 badges equally spaced between the top and bottom arcs of lettering.

Just seems unlikely to me that a company like GP that's known for such noticeable high quality would break tradition and use a mishmash of wording, fonts, and mis-aligned patterns like that, whereas the Jodhpur foundries have been casting similar plates of similar quality for some time. They were presumably a worthwhile and lucrative sideline to their everyday stuff like toilet, office and hotel signs etc.

The Hobbs plaque I bought is highly suspect too. When I stripped the paint it turns out to have a few casting issues and seems to have been spray painted with a red oxide that won’t budge. I’ll try and load some pics but for some reason I’ve been having problems getting them to load lately. The guy I bought it off had a few Hobbs escutcheons and a Chatwood Plaque and handle that all seemed to have the same pagination. Nobody bid except me and another bidder for this Hobbs. The thing that’s raised my doubts is it seems to have been masked off on parts when it’s been sprayed. I’ll have a go again to see if I can load pics.
    Apart from all the stuff you’ve mentioned, I would make a lot more effort showing any detail on a photo as opposed to sticking it through a scanner. I’ve looked at all the adverts shown on Graces and I’ve yet to see one that actually says 86 Queen st.! It’s the first time I’ve been to Graces website, not what I was expecting. Can anyone just bang a picture on? If so I’m surprised they would allow such a low quality picture to be posted.

Apart from all the stuff you’ve mentioned, I would make a lot more effort showing any detail on a photo as opposed to sticking it through a scanner. I’ve looked at all the adverts shown on Graces and I’ve yet to see one that actually says 86 Queen st.! It’s the first time I’ve been to Graces website, not what I was expecting. Can anyone just bang a picture on? If so I’m surprised they would allow such a low quality picture to be posted.
    There were 3 resolutions of the picture on the Grace's site to choose from, I clicked on the largest which was more than adequate to see it clearly.

Thread Information