Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale friction fence patent date

I have a Yale friction fence lock (LOBC, also marked Herring Hall Marvin Safe Co) with a patent-date mystery. Here is the lock and the back:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hhm-mounted.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	21065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	21066

The mystery is that the wheels are stamped "PAT'D.NOV.25-05." which does not make sense. US patents are always issued on a Tuesday but November 25 of 1905 was a Saturday. November 05 of 1925 was a Thursday. I checked as application dates instead of issue dates and did not find any with "lock" in the title. Any ideas about what is going on here, or what I'm doing wrong?

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	21067 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2062b.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	21068

Try patent 805103A. Nov. 21, 1905 Warren Taylor

That was fast, thanks Doug! So, a typo by the stamper.

Another quick question. The lock is set to a particular combination based on the markings on each wheel. I am dialing R-L-R then L to open. But the gates do not line up well unless I add two to the middle number. The fly on each wheel moves easily. The wheels are stamped 1 and 2 and 3, with 3 on the top of the stack (farthest from the back). The offset in the middle wheel seems wrong but I can't see what the problem is.

This is what it looks like after dialing the combination per the wheel markings:

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	396.0 KB 
ID:	21069

Wear is a common problem with the Yale wheels. Only rarely I have seen a pack that is off like yours is with just the middle wheel being off by 2. Possible bad day for the machinist. Check the drive pins on the back side of the wheels for looseness. As long as the wheels are thoroughly cleaned and the flys are free on full travel, run the comb several times and just live with lock. I often have to account for wheel misalignment when setting these combs.

I'll check for wear and looseness. It's purely a display lock but I want it to be in reasonably good condition nevertheless.

Thanks again!

Thread Information