Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lovely Chatwood

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Tom, you're just too early for April Fools Day.
    This must be among the worst photo montages I've ever seen. No way that the round door can clear access to the interior.
    Being from the 1910 catalogue though I cannot understand where the ad-department found an image of a circular door since it is written that Herbert Bruckshaw who joined Chatwood during the first World War to assist in munitions production didn't make his tour of the US until much later after which the company produced their first model in 1926.
    Apparently it was not patented and rumoured that was because it was a copy of the 1891 Diebold Circular Door.
    Perhaps some of our US contributors can identify the door in this image.
    safe man you just save me from a divorce or my murder because before read and realize i was looking for a ticket to england to find one. so big thanks !

have there been english manufacturers of compact round door safes ? i am super hot on and after investigation bring home from united states is too much time and money. very disappointed !

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post

have there been english manufacturers of compact round door safes ? i am super hot on and after investigation bring home from united states is too much time and money. very disappointed !

Stephane, there have been two makers who made Circular Door Safes in this country and which were mainly sold to large dairy companies for holding the delivery men's weekly cash collections before banking. They are seldom seen on the market for sale. The first was made by Chatwood and the other by Chubb. Attached are the only illustrations that I can find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Museum Chatwood Circular Door Safe.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	21047 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood circular door.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	21048

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Circ.door.JPG 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	21049 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Circ.door.2 JPG.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	21050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Circ. door.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	21051 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Circular Door.JPG 
Size:	250.5 KB 
ID:	21052

Beautiful !
    One of my next quest

merci

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Forgot about the Hibbard Rodman Ely later Manganese Steel Safe Co. Of New York.
    The Chatwood is a MUCH more elegant mechanism with a toothed bronze ring surrounding the central lock, which the offset handle turned (when unlocked) to move separate round bolts via a spigot in 4 x 45 degree slots.

Thread Information