Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by chrisryan View Post
    Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated, and all information, ideas, and pictures always useful. Judging from the picture of the keyhole though, I can't quite follow the logic of putting the key in one way up to lock, and then the other way up to unlock as in a Milner's winged keyway - if anyone has any pictures of the lock that they think that this may be - please post. Best regards & many thanks, Chris

Chris, if you can wait 15 days i will send you photos of the lock.

[QUOTE=chrisryan;32320]T Judging from the picture of the keyhole though, I can't quite follow the logic of putting the key in one way up to lock, and then the other way up to unlock as in a Milner's winged keyway -.

chrisryan, the principal of this procedure is based on Milners Patent Gunpowder proof lock the main feature of which is to reduce all the space inside the lock into which the explosive charge could be packed.
    The best way of preventing this is the cast iron block. However, if the locking procedure still involves the key turning a complete revolution this would leave another void. A key retaining lock would prevent this as does the Milner, Ratner principal.

A close look into the lock through the keyhole will answer the question you are asking, and will ascertain whatever type of lock is fitted- double bitted, single bitted, with or without bolt thrower, curtain, powder proof etc, and, if there’s still any uncertainty as to up-shoot or down shoot, a tension tool in the lock will confirm any doubts you might have, although as safemans boltwork pic confirms it has to be up-shoot in such limited space.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    A close look into the lock through the keyhole will answer the question you are asking, and will ascertain whatever type of lock is fitted- double bitted, single bitted, with or without bolt thrower, curtain, powder proof etc, and, if there’s still any uncertainty as to up-shoot or down shoot, a tension tool in the lock will confirm any doubts you might have, although as safemans boltwork pic confirms it has to be up-shoot in such limited space.
    Thanks Guys, all very true !! The pictures were sent to me by the customer and I haven't been to site yet - just like to do my homework - Best regards, Chris

Default Robert Tann Defiance Lock

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Chris, if you can wait 15 days i will send you photos of the lock.
    Thanks Stephane,

I would be very interested to see any photos of the lock (particularly the inside) that you may have.

Best regards, Chris

as promised Chris some photos of the lock remove of the safe. attached some size. only turn of an half on the RIGHT. down unlocked and up locked obviously. 8 levers not hard to pick in my opinion but i am not an expert. anyway if i have this model locked i will take time to open properly. this compact human size are the most desirable, easy to integrate in any interiors. hope that help. for any measure don't hesitate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tann 1.jpg   tann 2.jpg   tann 3.jpg   tann 4.jpg   tann 5.jpg  

tann 6.jpg  

Default Robert Tann Defiance Lock

Thanks Stephane,

That's perfect !!!

Really appreciate you taking the time to post the pictures - very interesting - and the first time I have come across this particular lock.

Best regards, Chris

Default Defiance Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    as promised Chris some photos of the lock remove of the safe. attached some size. only turn of an half on the RIGHT. down unlocked and up locked obviously. 8 levers not hard to pick in my opinion but i am not an expert. anyway if i have this model locked i will take time to open properly. this compact human size are the most desirable, easy to integrate in any interiors. hope that help. for any measure don't hesitate.

Hello Stephane, Your photographs of the Defiance lock are of great interest to me as well as Chris as I have never seen one before.

Please don't be offended if I am being too critical but this lock is in a dreadful state. It certainly looks as if it's been through the wars! The Ordnance Officer in Havre must have been an expert with a file and appears to have 'adjusted' the gates on some levers to make the lock work more smoothly. It's surprising that the very weakly positioned and vulnerable first step of the key didn't break off at the time. Defiance were probably too small a lockmaker to work from 'Differs' tables.

I too appreciate seeing the pictures. Great looking wee safe !

absolutely no offense Safeman. as you know i am not focused on the real security side and i am very happy with this safe, work smoothly. i do not think this non expert filler labour change the course of the war but i prefer to speak english today with you rather german. therefore i give a tribute to the ordonnance officier.

Thread Information