Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: 5' Tall Diebold

Default 5' Tall Diebold

Picked up a large Diebold safe 42" wide x 60" tall x 24" deep. The door leaf without the lock had the handle broken off, deadbolt guts and fill had been removed. I was able to see how the deadbolts were constructed in the other leaf and fabricated all the parts. Replaced the fill with mortar. Spent a few days stripping and painting. Sprayed urethane base coat - clear coat paint with hardener - primer, color, clear. Maroon was left over from my GMC truck. Painting the doors black this weekend.

I am repurposing it as a gun safe with carpeting on the inside with wood shelves on one side. Installing a receptacle for a golden rod dehumidifier and an LED light bar. Will hold 10 long guns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safes1.jpg   safes3.jpg   safes8.jpg   safes9.jpg   safes10.jpg  

safes12.jpg   safes13.jpg   safes14.jpg   safes15.jpg   safes16.jpg  

I like that red. Not boring and not to flashy and red.

Photos of the finished job, please, when it is done.

I expect to be jumped on for this, but had you considered fitting relockers to the doors?

Finished all the paint work. Now I can start putting it back together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safes17.jpg   safes18.jpg   safes19.jpg   safes20.jpg  

Finished fabricating the locking mechanism that was missing in the one door. Covered the inside with carpet. Next is to fabricate wooden shelves on one side and holders for the firearms. Pleased with how it is turning out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1safe.jpeg   2safe.jpeg   3safe.jpeg   4safe.jpeg   5safe.jpeg  

6safe.jpeg   7safe.jpeg   8safe.jpeg   9safe.jpeg  

Are you going to anchor it down?

Great finish and even an internet connection. If I had this one I think I would use it as a wardrobe.

May I ask why you covered the walls with grey carpet? Will it be a gun safe so the gun need protection against scratches? Are you used to safes with grey carpet and so this one get one too? Was it a kind of cover up for problems with the walls?

I do know this grey carpet from US gun safes and I have seen old US and/or UK safes with Persian carpet on the floor, but I have never seen such a thing in Germany.

Finished it. Has a dehumidifier and LED interior light. Happy with how it turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safes41.jpg   safes42.jpg   safes43.jpg   safes44.jpg   safes45.jpg  

safes46.jpg  

Thread Information