Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Signs of repairs, 1800's railroad padlocks

I've come across (on ebay) a number of antique brass railroad style padlocks with distinct scratches over the flush pins that hold the front of the case on. I'm guessing they are an effort to 'grind off' some unevenness created during a repair. But the scratches often look overly crude. See attached example picture.
    Is this a known technique used during repairs, or is there another explanation?

wX5hYHGua1DygAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

On the topic of repairs in general - How much does does an obvious repair on an otherwise old and collectible lock affect its value?

Thanks,
    Chris

yyHOs45yvNiALQBsSpBXtwuWdGLg56YSjMM5nxJhXwlFKEw4rDlI5bVxnshbgknWnU12SDnEhurUMx8bpkfivZKlDiPDToW7sr2hDKduxGpSUYa0oIlcyS EYbQmHywBAMCADs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinscratch.gif  

It too hard to tell as looking at the picture. What does the other side look like. Best to tale picture of the whole padlock. Yes there are some locksmith or people will take any old padlock apart just to make key or just cleaning inside the lock.....Timothy.....

Two locks showing the peculiar horizontal scratch pattern over some of the case front pins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	21058

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1601.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	21059

I have a look closer and it look like it may not. If you look at the top part of lock there are scratehed but look at the bottom part there no scratched. As far the scratched on there could be from years on bang around hitting metal or whatsoever. "Or" maybe could be that they punch it a little so the pins don't come out or move around and like i said it hard to tell for sure. What does the back of lock look like are there any mark on the pin..??...Maybe someone else may come up better answer....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (2).jpg   s-l1600 (3).jpg  

Thread Information