Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default History of the Excelsior Hardware Company

I was doing a little research on the Corbin registered trademark X.LCR with the arrow through it, when I came across this interesting article. It’s pretty interesting in connecting Yale & Towne, Corbin Cabinet Lock, Eagle Lock, Bridgeport Lock and Excelsior Hardware. It is misstated that Eagle was located in New Britain, but the article has quite a bit of interesting information.

http://www.stamfordhistory.org/rg18.htm

Does anyone have any background on Corbin’s use of the X.LCR trade mark? When used, etc. I just got an old Corbin PT with the X.LCR and a patent date of 1909. It is incised with S.O.Co. I’m trying to support the theory that the lock is from the original Standard Oil Co. before the 1911 breakup…back in the days of J D Rockefeller.

Default Re: History of the Excelsior Hardware Company

Thanks for providing the great history on a interesting company. It's to bad that one mans gambling addiction led to the downfall of such an old company. Hopefully David Heuermann will put this info on his web site .As to yuor origional question about Corbins X.LCR, I'm afraid I can't help you. But if you do find the answer please post it here for all to see. Good luck and thanks again, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Just got done digging around on goolge and I came up with some other interesting facts. http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:h6b ... cd=8&gl=us
    XLCR (Elcelsior) was a trade mark of the W.W.Bingham co.1841-1948 Cleveland Ohio along with BBB (Bingham's Best Brand) Did Corbin merge or buy out Bingham Hrd Co?
    Mark A. Billesbach

I found that same reference Mark. I'll try to do some digging with Corbin to confirm. It's funny that the subject locks have the Corbin stamp with the Corbin 1907 Patent reference, but the X.LCR trade mark and a separate company logo. There's a lot of text on this lock!

Thread Information