Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default World's Heaviest Door

Not a bank vault door, but perhaps bordering on being an antique:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082312.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	532.9 KB 
ID:	12901

From http://energy.gov/articles/photo-wee...m_medium=email --

"This photo from 1979 shows a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory employee opening the world's heaviest hinged door, which was eight feet thick, nearly twelve feet wide, and weighed 97,000 pounds. A special bearing in the hinge allowed a single person to open or close the concrete-filled door, which was used to shield the Rotating Target Neutron Source-II (RTNS-II) -- the world’s most intense source of continuous fusion neutrons."

Is this really the heaviest door? For example, the Cleveland Federal Reserve bank's door is often quoted at 100 tons (200,000 pounds); that includes the crane hinge, but the door alone is still probably heavier. One King West's door might also be heavier.

Regardless, it's an impressive door.

Not sure of weight but looks heavy ! Think this is in the now defunct Bank Of England in Manchester.

Name:	TannBoEMopen.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	12911

Default world's heaviest door

I think the laboratory door might have been used in the movie tron. The newer version.
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by kwoswalt99 View Post
    I think the laboratory door might have been used in the movie tron. The newer version.
    I just watched Tron: Legacy and while there is in fact a great big door, it isn't the one from Livermore's lab. It does look like a prop; I've never seen a door with two sets of bolts:

Name:	Tron Legacy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	14987

While not the heaviest door the https://www.stjames-cathedral.org/Tour/bronzedoors.htm have modern Rixson pivots that are made to look older than they are. These were installed with a very large crane. I got to see it. The camera I used had issues and the pictures didn't turn out. I need to get back over there and get some new ones... just not as they were installing it. It is not often you see doors of cast bronze.

I found a still image from the original movie Tron and it is in fact the RTNS II door --

Name:	RTNS Tron.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	21079

It also appears in a very short (3 second) clip on YouTube taken from Tron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehRJcFYJ0Bk

Thread Information