Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Keil 6 1/2 key machine cutting problem

When I try to cut flat steel keys, the turret guide with the corresponding flat key lacks 3/16 to 5/16 of lining the depth up with the cutter wheel.
    The regular house key guide is set up correctly and works fine but the flat guide won't allow the table to go far enough away for me to make the guide and cut wheel align.
    Anybody know how to fix this or is there an accessory to hold the turret guide in?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAskew View Post
    When I try to cut flat steel keys, the turret guide with the corresponding flat key lacks 3/16 to 5/16 of lining the depth up with the cutter wheel.
    The regular house key guide is set up correctly and works fine but the flat guide won't allow the table to go far enough away for me to make the guide and cut wheel align.
    Anybody know how to fix this or is there an accessory to hold the turret guide in?
    See thumbnail attached for Cutting Flat Keys from Keil 6-1/2 manual if that helps any. I've never used the turret machine so I have no experience to share.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Keil6.52cuttingFlatSteelKeys.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    See thumbnail attached for Cutting Flat Keys from Keil 6-1/2 manual if that helps any. I've never used the turret machine so I have no experience to share.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for that. I've got the manual. 2 of the stations line up perfectly, it's just the others that aren't close enough. It doesn't look like any parts are missing, but I'm starting to wonder if there's a trick to it or an accessory or extender that makes it work. Thanks for the help. Hopefully there's someone else on here who has worked with one before.

Jeff Askew

Thread Information