Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Jammed Folger Adam Mogul Cylinder

Friday, I decided to repin a Folger Adam 120 Mogul cylinder. After picking the cylinder, I stripped the cylinder down. I found an old key and put it in the plug, and I removed the sidebar. I had the proper fitting bottom pins for three pin. As it is for a display lock it wasn’t a big deal. I put the springs and driver pins back in to support three bottom pins, I then inserted a plug follower, then with the key still in the plug, I reinserted the plug. I started to put the cam back on and decided to remove the key, as I removed the key, I realized I was also pulling the plug back out and I pushed the plug back in the cylinder. Upon doing this, the plug jammed in the cylinder, and the key jammed in the plug. I am unable to remove the key from the plug, and I am unable to remove the plug. Any ideas what I should do?

It would be a good idea of post a picture of your lock so it will give us some idea of what you talking about. It sound like to me as you said you was pulling the key out and the plug came out with it. It may have that went you pull the plug out the top pin could have fall out or fall into the plug. As you pull the plug the spring load may have got jam in between the plug and cylinder went you push it back in. This going to be hard to do but try to see if you can turn the plug. If it turn than slowing by turning back and forth and pull same time. Just remember if you did get it to come half way out your top pin and spring going to fall out. it may do a little damage to plug.

This happen to me some time went the spring load get jam inside the plug and cylinder,....Timothy...

You may want to try to bang the cylinder on wood board and try to turn key while hitting the wood. Be sure the pin it facing toward the wood. "OR" if you have a punch big enough to fit in the plug tap the punch lighting and if it move just keep tapping until plug come out. Let us know what happen....Timothy....

Default Jammed Folger Adam Mogul Cylinder Your Message

There two more thingto add. Have you try to bump the key. Try it with the key facing up and than try it with key facing down. Just remember you are only try to turn the plug. After it turn than need to pull the plug out to see what problem.

The last one have to try to see if a Slim will go between the cylinder. and plug If it does just see how far it go in. If not than there could be lot of thing happen either the top pin fall into the bottom pin or the spring got jam. Good luck.....Timothy....

Thread Information