Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb lock Identification

I was hoping someone could identify this Chubb combo lock for me. It is a 3 wheel combo. I am looking for a change key and hope to find a couple of new dials as well. Any help is always appreciated. Not sure if it helps but they are on a Treasury Mark Two safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubb lock 1.jpg   Chubb lock 2.jpg  

It is a 4 wheel not a 3 wheel 7L51 model number.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    It is a 4 wheel not a 3 wheel 7L51 model number.
    Gary, as usual you are correct on the 4 wheels. the reason i said 3 was because i have the 3 numbers for the combo. However i just checked and when i dial the first number, wheels one and two move at the same time. It is the same on both locks. I have no idea how or why it is like that but opens every time. Thank you for the model number. Do you know of any companies in the uk where i can pick up new dials and a change key. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    ... when i dial the first number, wheels one and two move at the same time.
    I find this fascinating. Did they make a 4-wheel lock such that it could easily and intentionally be "down-converted" to a three-wheel lock?

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I find this fascinating. Did they make a 4-wheel lock such that it could easily and intentionally be "down-converted" to a three-wheel lock?
    I am hoping that someone can answer that question. No problem in finding a change key. Still hoping to find a couple of replacement dials.

If you dial it like a 3 wheel lock when changing the combination, it will then open like that and sometimes customers set them like that if they also have 3 wheel combinations on other safes so their dialling procedure and combinations can be the same on all safes. Trouble could be if they dial 432 they may not always set the first wheel, but 532 wold work.
    I think you will struggle to get new dials, but a change key and second hand dials should be possible.

Thread Information