Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Removing Milner door

I need to get a Milner 212 upstairs via a tight awkward staircase which would be difficult for more than 2 people to lift the safe. I thought that if I could remove the door then 2 people could carry each part. I have removed the 2 screws from the top hinge but there appears to be a locating pin between the screws which I don’t know how to remove. I have tried driving a screwdriver between the hinge & door with no success. Is it possible to remove the hinge & will the door then lift out of the bottom pivot without removing the lower hinge?

Quote Originally Posted by Markfd View Post
    I need to get a Milner 212 upstairs via a tight awkward staircase which would be difficult for more than 2 people to lift the safe. I thought that if I could remove the door then 2 people could carry each part. I have removed the 2 screws from the top hinge but there appears to be a locating pin between the screws which I don’t know how to remove. I have tried driving a screwdriver between the hinge & door with no success. Is it possible to remove the hinge & will the door then lift out of the bottom pivot without removing the lower hinge?
    There are usually 3 screws on the hinge. Tap and scrape and it should be there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner serial number_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	20909

Oh, I see that the middle screw goes in the opposite direction. Will the door then lift out of the bottom pivot without removing the hinge?

I still can’t see any sign of a screw head, it looks more like some sort of press fit pin. It is a very early Milner. The diameter on the outside looks much bigger than the other two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 424296BD-D5AD-4EF9-869B-6310204A6941.jpeg   1FCD4A58-056A-4CAD-A3ED-E9266F17CB6B.jpeg  

I still can’t see any sign of a screw head, it looks more like some sort of press fit pin. It is a very early Milner. The diameter on the outside looks much bigger than the other two.

Most unusual. Looks like it's a rivet in the middle. If so you could either drill it right through or just cut away the countersink on the outside and punch it in with the screws firmly in place to take the strain.

Once the hinge is free the door will lift straight up and out.

Might be that a rivet was used if the original screw thread was damaged. No matter, hope you get it out OK.

Thanks for the information, I ll try that tomorrow. I can make a larger screw on my lathe & tap the hinge with a larger thread afterwards.

You were correct, it was a rivet. Now drilled out, hinge tapped & oversized screw made. Just got to get safe body upstairs now. Hopefully 2 people can carry it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

You were correct, it was a rivet. Now drilled out, hinge tapped & oversized screw made. Just got to get safe body upstairs now. Hopefully 2 people can carry it.
    Sorry Markfd, for some reason I wasn't informed by email of this last response.

If I'm not too late, I would avoid any attempt at actually trying to bodily lift the safe to get it up the stair.
    An alternative would be to lay the safe in a piece of strong carpet about the size of a hearthrug next to the bottom step then manipulating the bottom back edge on to the step and heaving the safe over to the point of balance on the step. The carpet should be so arranged that at least on person above the safe can obtain a firm grasp of the carpet while two people below grip the lower corners. It's then a matter of single heaves to lift the safe up each individual step.
    If there is sufficient room for two persons above the safe then all the better. I guess that this Milner will weight about 4½ to 5 cwts which is a bit much for 3 people to cope with safely. At least this method allows for momentary rests while carrying doesn't.

The jobs done thanks. I bolted 2 lengths of wood under the safe, like a sedan chair. Then I picked up one end & went up the stairs with 2 people following taking a handle each. We did rest a few times, the only awkward part was round a wind. The safe is now bolted down with the door replaced. Thanks for all the assistance.

Thread Information