Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Milner safe information

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum & am looking for information about a Milner safe that I inherited off my father. He acquired it in 1963 in a post office that he ran. I can’t see any serial number on the safe but there is one on the original key. It says Hobbs & Co patent, 76 Cheapside . 56108
    The plaque isn’t original, I bought it on EBay & the fixing holes were not in the correct place.
    After studying your website, I think that it dates from around 1852, is this correct? Does anyone know what the rating would be for jewellery insurance purposes? I presume that it is a 212 document safe although the walls appear to be 1/2” thick. Also, is the handle original, I have seen a picture with a similar one, but most seem to have a lever.
    Any information would be useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6AD4A70C-1F63-41F3-A60D-B9FFE93BFD1B.jpeg   F47FD99C-96E5-44CD-BBF6-AED4838D4CFA.jpeg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Markfd View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum & am looking for information about a Milner safe that I inherited off my father. He acquired it in 1963 in a post office that he ran. I can’t see any serial number on the safe but there is one on the original key. It says Hobbs & Co patent, 76 Cheapside . 56108
    The plaque isn’t original, I bought it on EBay & the fixing holes were not in the correct place.
    After studying your website, I think that it dates from around 1852, is this correct? Does anyone know what the rating would be for jewellery insurance purposes? I presume that it is a 212 document safe although the walls appear to be 1/2” thick. Also, is the handle original, I have seen a picture with a similar one, but most seem to have a lever.
    Any information would be useful.
    You are close with the date of manufacture of this List 2 Milner. From about 1852 until the early 1870's, the locks were made by Hobbs & Co to Milner's Gunpowder-Proof Patent and from which time Hobbs started making their own safes and as a result Milners their own locks. The lock will be a Hobbs Protector which featured an anti-picking device.
    The number on the key suggests close to 1866. The handle is original.
    This is a fire-resistant only quality with the outer body plates not much more than ⅛" thick Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Protector Lock.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	20836of rivetted sheet wrought iron and should not be considered as suitable for the protection of personal valuables although a small amount of jewellery cover may be obtainable.

The 212 is not a model, it is a reference to the boiling point of water.

When I was in UK, a good few years ago, some insurance policies would give a certain amount of coverage in "a locked safe", which included anything. It was quite minimal.

Thread Information