Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Modern Vault Doors with Frame Mounted Locks and Controls

Thought this concept was pretty much abandoned by the late1930s/40s but it seems there are manufacturers in Continental Europe still adopting it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	20795

Views:	35 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	20796

Views:	33 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	20797

Here's a few more. Not very good quality pictures but impressive examples nonetheless. Not many modern European doors can claim a door thickness of a metre or more.

Views:	14 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	21262 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	21263 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	21264

How do they lock Huw? the lower one has some sort of locking bolt in the door. Possibly works like a hamber uf safe locking ring, but on the upper door pictures I cannot see how they lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    How do they lock Huw? the lower one has some sort of locking bolt in the door. Possibly works like a hamber uf safe locking ring, but on the upper door pictures I cannot see how they lock.
    Think you're probably right there Gary, but TBH I was hoping you might have seen some and know for sure!
    Some have a recessed channel down the inside edge which could receive boltwork thrown from the frame, but the channels don't appear to be that wide or deep to accept really heavy boltwork like you'd expect, and never found any tech info or even identifiable names or badges on them.

A few of the massive older doors look a bit like Stacke.de's stuff, and I know they are or were, the only manufacturer to offer an en-1143 door to grade 13 (XIII), all the others like Messrs Chubb, Fichet etc stopped at 11 or 12, but even their massive grade 13 has their standard rectangular boltwork in the door, and nothing like these with frame controls has ever showed up under Stacke's products.

From memory the older doors were all Germany, in central cash handling centres, the 4th pic of the maroon door with the guy pulling it closed was the vacated Bundesbank, I think in Dresden.

Also Found another grainy picture, this one I had to look up, again vacated it was the Landeszentralbank before demolition. The locks and controls had been removed off the side frame. For some reason these type of installations were often covered by heavy sliding doors in front locked with heavy multi-point mushroom systems with euros, as seen on this one,to the left.

Views:	7 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	21267

Turns out the modern blue doors in the first 3 pics are by Martens, Holland.

Update: swallowed by Gunnebo it seems their Doetinchem factory now bangs out Fichet Carena's....
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 02-05-19 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Update

Thread Information