Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default East Safe and Equipment Co.

Hi all,

I just recently acquired 2 safes my job was getting rid of. A Globe-Wernickie and this East Safe. I cant find anything about the company on line, Im just looking for some info on it. Date of manufacture, history of the company, should i be worried about asbestos in it, and things like that. Also some info on the Yale lock on it. The flat sping that pushes the fence (i think thats the right term) over to retract the bolt was pretty tired and wasent reliable so i punched out the rivets and pinned in a new copper spring. Is there any other parts i should look for wear on before i trust the lock with my stuff in it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2300.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	20771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	20772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	20773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	20774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2290.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	20770

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSimeone View Post
    Hi all,

I just recently acquired 2 safes my job was getting rid of. A Globe-Wernickie and this East Safe. I cant find anything about the company on line, Im just looking for some info on it. Date of manufacture, history of the company, should i be worried about asbestos in it, and things like that. Also some info on the Yale lock on it. The flat sping that pushes the fence (i think thats the right term) over to retract the bolt was pretty tired and wasent reliable so i punched out the rivets and pinned in a new copper spring. Is there any other parts i should look for wear on before i trust the lock with my stuff in it
    Globe-Wernicke was a furniture manufacturer founded in Cincinnati in 1893. They also made office furniture and equipment, see link for history. I'm guessing that your safe was likely private-labeled for them by another manufacturer?
    http://sites.rootsweb.com/~ohnhs2/Globe-Wernicke.html

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information