Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Trying to get info on pancake padlock

I have an old brass 6 pin pancake padlock about which I am trying to get some information.
    It is regular size 2 1/4" diameter with regular shackle and has a chain attached and as you can see I have not cleaned the lock
    On the face of the lock is "D.P.T Co." and the front of the shackle is faintly "SPRINGE" and on the reverse of the shackle is the number "15"
    I am adding a photo of the lock and a blowup of the shackle showing the word "SPRINGE".
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DPT Co padlock1.jpg   DPT Co padlock2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    I have an old brass 6 pin pancake padlock about which I am trying to get some information.
    It is regular size 2 1/4" diameter with regular shackle and has a chain attached and as you can see I have not cleaned the lock
    On the face of the lock is "D.P.T Co." and the front of the shackle is faintly "SPRINGE" and on the reverse of the shackle is the number "15"
    I am adding a photo of the lock and a blowup of the shackle showing the word "SPRINGE".
    I don't know if this helps any, but Antique-Padlocks.com shows one marked "DP&TCO" as possibly made for Dominion Power & Transmission Co., see link:
    http://antique-padlocks.com/lever_brass_d.htm

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    I believe the stamping on the shackle likely reads "SPRINGER". There was a Springer Lock Mfg. Co. Ltd. located in Bellville, Ontario, a pdf copy of their Catalog No. 3, ca 1920 can be found at the link and their padlock offerings from the era on pg. 424-425:
    https://archive.org/details/Illustra...rdware/page/n3

American Hardware Corp. purchased Springer in 1932. Successor Companies in the US are Corbin Russwin, an ASSA ABLOY Group Company; and in Canada ASSA ABLOY Door Security Solutions Canada.

Pete Schifferli

I believe the stamping on the shackle likely reads "SPRINGER". There was a Springer Lock Mfg. Co. Ltd. located in Bellville, Ontario, a pdf copy of their Catalog No. 3, ca 1920 can be found at the link and their padlock offerings from the era on pg. 424-425:

Thanks Pete, on closer inspection with a strong light, namely the sun, I was able to make out part of what could and probably is an "R" after the letters "SPRINGE".

The Dominion Power and Transmission Company is also a good possibility as both were Canadian companies and it got it's name in 1907 and in 1930 became part of what is now Ontario Hydro.

Also I have a "DRAGON" pancake padlock that also has the number 15 on the reverse of the shackle.
    Coincidence?

Thread Information