Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Thomas Turner&co The premium safe

Hello, I just inherited my Great grandfathers safe and am looking for information on it. i'm in NZ and we know its been in the family since the 1920s. I keep hearing about Issues 20 and 21 of the Lock Collector publication which carries Parts 1 and 2 of the Thomas Turner story, how do I find these?
    or does anyone have any extra information?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 49499959_531341447385981_7777962172763602944_n.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by EvlStache View Post
    Hello, I just inherited my Great grandfathers safe and am looking for information on it. i'm in NZ and we know its been in the family since the 1920s. I keep hearing about Issues 20 and 21 of the Lock Collector publication which carries Parts 1 and 2 of the Thomas Turner story, how do I find these?
    or does anyone have any extra information?

If you are agreeable and PM me with an email address I will send you appropriate extracts from the Lock Collectors Issues 20 and 21.

It is my belief that although Thos Turner was a renowned lock manufacturer, I think it unlikely that he actually made safes. It could be that he had them 'made out' as was quite common at the time. The attached example below is of extremely poor quality whereas your illustration appears to be superior and of a much later date. Also, the practice of badging a poor quality with an escutcheon bearing the name of a reputable lock maker was also a common practice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turner..JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	20710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turner escutcheon.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	20711

Thread Information