Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb safe alu or tin. Salesman item?

I know this tin or aluminium safe for sale in a store.
    Not very small but very light. I haven’t seen it yet in real time.
    Its a simple small lock (see the key) But on the outside the safe looks real. What do you all think of this? Original? Salesman item or something else?

Did Chubb made this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B291A961-8889-4A85-B3CA-4CD701A01CD9.jpeg   A78B291A-1542-4413-85F8-CC424550C31A.jpeg   966BE094-0F99-44FE-8DB9-9B940CF29DC9.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Harrishawk View Post
    I know this tin or aluminium safe for sale in a store.
    Not very small but very light. I haven’t seen it yet in real time.
    Its a simple small lock (see the key) But on the outside the safe looks real. What do you all think of this? Original? Salesman item or something else?

Did Chubb made this?
    Where it says “Chubb patent lock” but without a Chubb nameplate it may well be indicating that a backstreet safe manufacturer made a cheap safe and fitted a Chubb secondhand lock on it - possibly off of a piece of wooden furniture. This safe looks as if the lock bolt directly locks the safe instead of (as usually) blocking the action of the bolts which are moved by the handle.
    i wonder what the handle does?
    there were many “plate safes” which had no filling to the body but they are rarely described as “light” although they will be lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Where it says “Chubb patent lock” but without a Chubb nameplate it may well be indicating that a backstreet safe manufacturer made a cheap safe and fitted a Chubb secondhand lock on it - possibly off of a piece of wooden furniture. This safe looks as if the lock bolt directly locks the safe instead of (as usually) blocking the action of the bolts which are moved by the handle.
    i wonder what the handle does?
    there were many “plate safes” which had no filling to the body but they are rarely described as “light” although they will be lighter.
    I don't know anything about this lock apart from the fact that it is known
    as the Chubb Spring Lock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb spring lock keys.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	20657 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Spring Lock.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	20658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown safe with Chubb Lock..JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	20659

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    I don't know anything about this lock apart from the fact that it is known
    as the Chubb Spring Lock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb spring lock keys.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	20657 YouClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown safe with Chubb Lock..JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	20659
    Chubb Springless lock ie it doesn’t have traditional English levers.
    does the handle turn to actually do anything or is it more likely just for pulling the door open?

Where did you find the pictures? Looks like the same type of safe. Would like to know more.
    thanks for posting.

Where did you find the pictures? Looks like the same type of safe. Would like to know more.
    thanks for posting.
    I'm a rubbish researcher as I don't keep accurate records of the images I copy from all over the internet. All I know about this picture is that I filed it in 2010.

It was filed as 'unusual safe' which it certainly is. Front bulkhead fully bent on corners but back banding suggesting a square body. Very heavy pivot assembly for such a light door the thickness of which suggests that it might be a 'made-up' door i.e. not solid plate but consisting of thin outer and inner sheet with bar iron internal frame.

The drawer handle looks more continental than British.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
    I think it is a show piece or something. It is all tinplate. So more a toy safe, money box. Not a real safe for real use.

I’ll hope to see it this week. So I’ll make a lot of pictures. And if the price is good, I maybe buy it

Thanks!
    I think it is a show piece or something. It is all tinplate. So more a toy safe, money box. Not a real safe for real use.

I’ll hope to see it this week. So I’ll make a lot of pictures. And if the price is good, I maybe buy it
    I think someone once told me that this type of lock was used on inner pan doors (hinged back of a safe door).
    i think it may have been a locking cabinet made to look like a safe, for use inside a vault, where physical security was not an issue - whether it is a Chubb safe I am doubtful.

Thanks!

The fact that the front 2 or 3 inches looks to be much heavier and stronger than the rest of the body it could have been intended for being enclosed in masonry.

Thread Information