Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale & Towne floor safe

Hello all!

I'm a newbie visiting this Font of Knowledge for the first time. A few years back, my wife inherited a safe from her 90 year old mother. It's an American made Yale & Towne No. 0700 floor safe, with wheels/casters. Works great and still has the paper operating instructions. I'm trying to find out the production years to give it a rough date. (Early 20th century?) Yale Locks retains no historical information of any of their vintage products, which I found somewhat surprising. There seems to be very little else out on the internet for such items beyond what you find on commerce sites like ebay. Hardly a bastion of truth and accuracy. So I here I am on a quest for information.

It's morning here, so when I return home, I'll re-visit this forum and post pictures to be helpful.

Many thanks - Jon

Hi everyone. Here's the pics of the safe. It is 14" deep, 13 1/2" wide, 21" from the ground to top, and 17" from bottom to top. Didn't weigh it, but its got some heft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side 1.jpg   side 2.jpg   label 1.jpg   Inside.jpg   dial.jpg  

hinge.jpg  

Default Schwab

The safe that you have is maded by Schwab safe co. The Yale lock is a model #0700 3 wheel lock. This is safe was in production from the late 1940's to the mid to late 1950's. hope this helps enjoy Tim

Thank you very much!

Thread Information